Latest bowl

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I'll have to call this one a success, because it didn't become a projectile :lol: And it is approximately the same size I had planned it to be :-D

Ambrosia Maple with a little spalting. 8½" in diameter, and 3½" tall.
I took y'alls suggestion and turned the inside from the rim inwards. I like doing it like that.

Ambrosia_Maple_bowl_005.jpg

Ambrosia_Maple_bowl_004.jpg

Ambrosia_Maple_bowl_002.jpg

I guess I will have to call it Art, because it won't hold soup... I ended up with two beetle holes right in the bottom that go all the way through :BangHead:

Ambrosia_Maple_bowl_007.jpg

I finished it with a quick coat of spray blond shellac and then 6 coats of spray gloss lacquer, with a paste wax final finish.
Thanks for looking :icon_thum

Dave:)

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Beautiful job on the bowl Dave! I love the wood choice. Isn't there any way to plug/fill the holes and add a finish that will be "soup-proof"??:lol:
Keep up the great work,

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I've got peeth tics, but that just not right...got to enjoy the wood for what it is. Maybe I can sell it as the world slowest sieve :icon_thum :lol:

J

jeff...

Mr dave don't just call that art - get yourself some 5 min 2 part clear epoxy. Put some masking tape over the holes on the inside of the bow. Turn it over and fill up the holes with the epoxy. Wait till dry remove the tape and sha lam a bowl that will hold soup. :-D

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
Wow! that is quite striking! Man, you weren't kidding about wanting to knock something out quickly :)

Chris

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Wow! that is quite striking! Man, you weren't kidding about wanting to knock something out quickly :)

Chris

I started turning it on Sunday, completed the turning on Monday, and have worked on the finish over the last three days...I'm rather slow, it's only one bowl :oops: :eusa_doh:

cskipper

Cathy
It may only be one bowl, but it's a very beautiful bowl@ :eusa_clap Unless you need it for soup I'd just leave the holes because they add character. Of course you'd still see them filled with epoxy so I suppose it doesn't really matter. What kind of finish did you use? What grit of sand paper did you finish with? Why do you think that was too long for "just one bowl"? :slap:

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Wow...........sharp looking bowl Dave.:icon_thum I really like your choice of wood for it.

D L

DaveO

New User
DaveO
It may only be one bowl, but it's a very beautiful bowl@ :eusa_clap Unless you need it for soup I'd just leave the holes because they add character. Of course you'd still see them filled with epoxy so I suppose it doesn't really matter. What kind of finish did you use? What grit of sand paper did you finish with? Why do you think that was too long for "just one bowl"? :slap:

Cathy, the finish is shellac>lacquer>and paste wax. I ran the gamut of grits from 80 to 600. It didn't take "too long", it just wasn't one of my faster projects, when I work on something over the weekdays, I can only put about an hour in a night, so projects drag out. I plan to leave the holes, I have regular dishes to eat out of :-D

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
DaveO, that is awesome bro. It can be used for a center piece holding some fruit or use it as a change bowl. Awesome spalting. Good job friend.

gsdoby

New User
Gary
Nice bowl. I am going to try and rough out a couple of maple blanks I have this weekend. I don't think they are as spalted as yours but I have to find out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors