Latest Bass Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Very cool - I can't tell from the pictures because that ebony sure is black - is it going to be a unlined fretless?

One day when I grow up - I might be able to make something like that.

sazdaman

New User
Steve
Thanks guys. Jeff it will be a fretless, I still need to put in side dots and am debating what to do on the fingerboard if anything. Suggestions?

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
is that the one that you were working on when I was over at your shop? That is looking great... I really like that body style as well. What pickups are you going to put in it.

Man I've got to hurry up and get on the guitar bandwagon here. Again looks great!!

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Very cool - I can't tell from the pictures because that ebony sure is black - is it going to be a unlined fretless?

One day when I grow up - I might be able to make something like that.

Thanks guys. Jeff it will be a fretless, I still need to put in side dots and am debating what to do on the fingerboard if anything. Suggestions?

Unlined and unmarked fingerboards seem to be very traditional. A option for side dot markers is to place them where the frets would be (if it were a fretted) instead of inbetween the frets like on a freted neck. I placed mine right on frets 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 12, 15, 17, 19 and it has really helped me find the note I'm looking for quickly. Side dot option on the fretlines is usually custom in most shops - you don't see many side dots placed like in those positions.

Personally - I wouldn't do anything to the fingerboard face as far as markings go - I would leave it unlined and unmarked.

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
Unlined and unmarked fingerboards seem to be very traditional. A option for side dot markers is to place them where the frets would be (if it were a fretted) instead of inbetween the frets like on a freted neck. I placed mine right on frets 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 12, 15, 17, 19 and it has really helped me find the note I'm looking for quickly. Side dot option on the fretlines is usually custom in most shops - you don't see many side dots placed like in those positions.

Personally - I wouldn't do anything to the fingerboard face as far as markings go - I would leave it unlined and unmarked.

A friend of mine has a lakeland that has a contrasting wood inlaid at each fret location. While I understand not wanting to put anything on the fretboard, I thought it looked awesome on this bass and liked the fact that I could find the notes quickly. This from a non bass player was nice. I also liked it from a woodworking aspect as some might see it as cheating I saw it as extra step and skill. I'm betting it was done on a CNC machine being from a manufacture.

Either way it will look great. I do like Jeff's idea of putting the side dots at the fret location that would make it easier as well for someone like me who wouldn't know what to do with a fretless in the first place. :)

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
A friend of mine has a lakeland that has a contrasting wood inlaid at each fret location. While I understand not wanting to put anything on the fretboard, I thought it looked awesome on this bass and liked the fact that I could find the notes quickly. This from a non bass player was nice. I also liked it from a woodworking aspect as some might see it as cheating I saw it as extra step and skill. I'm betting it was done on a CNC machine being from a manufacture.

Either way it will look great. I do like Jeff's idea of putting the side dots at the fret location that would make it easier as well for someone like me who wouldn't know what to do with a fretless in the first place. :)

There really is a huge difference in playing fretless vers fretted for me. The main difference for me is my fingers are always in contact with the wood so every tiny dimple in the fingerboard is felt by my fingers. In contrast to a fretted neck I rarely feel the wood unless I monster the strings and press them down hard behind a fret or bend or vibrato a string.

Hey maybe that's why they call "the board" a fingerboard for a fretless and a fretboard for a fretted? :eusa_thin

I have both a lined and unlined fretless - I like the unlined a lot better only because it's smooth a babies butt. The lined neck has thin aluminum strips for lines and unfinished ebony. even though the wood and the aluminum are sanded flush, I can feel the lines under my fingers - must be becuase it's a different material?

I don't want to distract from the intent of the original post which is the very cool bass Steve is building

sazdaman

New User
Steve
Thanks guys. Kevin it is the one you saw. It will remain a fretless. The side markers on a fretless are suppose to be on the fret so when you play you play on the dots to stay in tune. On a fretted, the dots are in between the frets because the length of the string will ultimately be when the string hits the fret.

Thanks for your suggestions.

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
Thanks guys. Kevin it is the one you saw. It will remain a fretless. The side markers on a fretless are suppose to be on the fret so when you play you play on the dots to stay in tune. On a fretted, the dots are in between the frets because the length of the string will ultimately be when the string hits the fret.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Sweet That's cool to see it come into an actual bass... That's cool. What pickups are you going to use in it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS