Last minute Xmas gifts

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
The LOML asked if I could make a cutting board for her aunt. Sure, no problem. Raided the scrap stock pile and came up with this. The design, OK, the construction, came out pretty well. I will give it a hardy rubbing of mineral oil between now and Christmas. And hope her aunt is happy. Dave:)
Cuttingboard002.jpg

Cuttingboard005.jpg

Cuttingboard006.jpg

DaveO

New User
DaveO
All you have to do is make more mistakes with nicer wood :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead:

Not my favorite practice but it sure does help stock the scrap pile.
Dave:)

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
That turned out very nice Dave.:icon_thum I wish I had a scrap pile that was as well stocked as yours. How long did you let your glue-up set before you started machining the cutting board?

D L

DaveO

New User
DaveO
DL - I generally let Titebond III set up for a few hours before continuing with my work. That probably isn't the best method but I've never had a glue failure yet.

Mike - the board is about an inch thick, so it's not as heavy as a end grain chopping block, but it is still substantial. I instruct everyone one I give a cutting board to, that it is for vegetable use only. Don't consider mixing veggies and meat on the same board.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Dave, my wife saw the picture and loved it. The only problem that she saw, was that there was no way she could actually use it for chopping.:lol:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I have ran into that problem before :slap: I tell people to go ahead and use it, I can always re-surface it, a little sanding and it looks like the day they got it.

So, I guess you have to make one now, for the LOYL:lol:

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
DaveO said:
I have ran into that problem before :slap: I tell people to go ahead and use it, I can always re-surface it, a little sanding and it looks like the day they got it.

So, I guess you have to make one now, for the LOYL:lol:

Only if I can raid your:lol: scrap pile

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Anytime you want:icon_thum but I am going through it pretty quick, seeing as I can't afford new wood, lately:crybaby2:

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
Nice work Dave, my wife would probally hang that on the wall. Tell me, how durable is mineral oil finish? Does it take much maintence over time?

R

rickc

Thought I would share some of the Christmas gifts coming out of my shop this year. The biggie was the gun case. Measures 4" h x 10" w x 44" l. I made it from rough cut walnut I got on one of my trips to NY. It is for my Dad who enjoys shooting - made for a Marlin lever action. Photo quality is poor, but I was able to get a mirror finish by using several coats of water base polyurethane & a final protective coat of paste wax.

The bird candle holder is a quickie made form shop scraps. 3 birds scroll sawn, placed at various heights on a piece of red oak.

The final ones, the wavy clocks - remind me of clocks on acid! Fun to make because I didn't really have to "follow the lines"! THAT I can handle!. They will be gifts for my nieces.

Had a chance to learn/practice quite a bit - like how to use the Keller dovetail jig for the case corners, and some refreshed scroll sawing for the others. Lesson reinforced most rudely - however much time I think it will take to make the gifts - double it!!!

xmas2005.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Wow, those are all very nicely done Rick.:icon_thum I am sure they will all be very well received come Christmas morning. How did you finish the inside of the gun case?

D L

R

rickc

D L Ames said:
Wow, those are all very nicely done Rick.:icon_thum I am sure they will all be very well received come Christmas morning. How did you finish the inside of the gun case?

D L

Before assembling the carcass, I sanded the inside down to 220 grit. That way I was most of the way home. After that, all I had to do was scrap off the glue run off, and then do touch up sanding. Applied conditioner, sanded and then applied a coat of glossy finish. I lined it with foam to cushion the gun, and wanted to have a surface to which I could fasten double sided carpet tape to hold the foam. Admittedly, not as fussy on the inside and was hoping a "rougher" finish would proved a better surface to catch and hold the foam. Seemed to have worked.

Now if UPS doesn't destroy it.... 8-O

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Rick, you were explaining those projects to me at the TWA mtg., and I really couldn't picture them. Now I see. Excellent, I really like the clocks "on acid":lol: That looks like a project I could groove with. Dave:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors