Laser cutting/engraving

kserdar

Ken
Senior User
I am thinking about renting time on my lasers. All use will be in my shop by appointment.
100 watt 20" x 40"
45 watt 11" x 19"
40 watt 11" x 19"

None of them will "cut" metal. They will etch anodized metal.

Is there any interest in the wood working community for this type of rental?
Reasonable charge for actual "use" time?

Instruction on use and safety prior to anyone using.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I am thinking about renting time on my lasers. All use will be in my shop by appointment.
100 watt 20" x 40"
45 watt 11" x 19"
40 watt 11" x 19"

None of them will "cut" metal. They will etch anodized metal.

Is there any interest in the wood working community for this type of rental?
Reasonable charge for actual "use" time?

Instruction on use and safety prior to anyone using.
I think it is a GREAT idea, I only wish I were closer.
What are you thinking for an hourly charge?
Are you thinking of a different charge for training / learning?

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Ken (@kserdar) maybe that is an option - to offer a class??
That may capture your future "customers"...

Eric Abernathy

New User
Eric28006
That is a great idea. I own 2 diode lasers but have been wanting to cut a bunch of 1/4" or less wood parts and also templates. What brand is you 100w co2 laser and is it lightburn compatible?

kserdar

Ken
Senior User
Machines are-
100 watt 20" x 40" - OMTech Model: SH-G1060 MPN: AF2440-100 (Lightburn and RDWorks compatible/I have both)
45 watt 11" x 19" - Glowforge Pro (web based)
40 watt 11" x 19" - Glowforge Plus (web based)

Glowforge likes SVG files.
RDWorks imports DXF and saves as RLD.
Lightburn - I haven't really used it. But is very similar to RDWorks with more features.
I have a copy of Vectric Aspire that I use for my CNC router and CNC mill.

I can make any DXF files work with either laser.

Class - Way too many rabbit holes and I make a bad teacher. Most laser information can be found on the web.
I can help with laser settings and hints/pointers for my lasers.
All new or unknown materials require some trial and error.

As for price - It looks like most places charge $1 a minute for actual cut time. All 3 machines track cut time.
The more time "rented", I am thinking to offer a slight discount.

Another option - You send me your files and material. I would charge a "design" fee (based on how much work I need to do) and the above stated price for actual cut time.
FYI - engraving pictures on wood is NOT as easy as people make it look on the web.

Eric Abernathy

New User
Eric28006

Attachments

• 20211220_214125.jpg
    20211220_214125.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 75

Skymaster

New User
Jack
I have an Omtech 50w co2 and an ortur diode, BOTH kick my butt because of the software. I have Affinity,Inkscape,Lightburn, and forget name of program for diode. I am severely lacking in the brain department regards to software. I can build you a house,cabinets,boxes,remodel etc etc BUT damn software. Born in a world without software and brain just doesnt seem to comprehend it, it is illogical. Does not work the way my brain is wired

kserdar

Ken
Senior User
I do pictures on diode lasers
Don't get me wrong. It can be done.

But, when you need to "white" out the background.
Person gives you a low res photo.
Photo is in color and in very bright sun light.
White hair or very light color cloths on a white background.
Irregular wood surface.

There are only shades of black that the laser can make.

Skymaster

New User
Jack
I have a special photo of my late grandson, USN Flight Doc, who had a bad bad accident with a helicopter. I am trying to remove the backround and have just him in an oval, so far, removed backround but it is now white. When I try to print, the backround is same color as him. Not fun but still trying

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
I have a special photo of my late grandson, USN Flight Doc, who had a bad bad accident with a helicopter. I am trying to remove the backround and have just him in an oval, so far, removed backround but it is now white. When I try to print, the backround is same color as him. Not fun but still trying
Jack- If you send me the photo- file not original- I will happily do the editing you wish in Photoshop and send it back. If that will be helpful please PM me.

Skymaster

New User
Jack
You want just him in the photo and the background cropped or something different?
Would like the photo to be just him in an oval frame, smallboat offered, but if it doesn't work out more than appreciate you taking a shot. Embarrassed to ask for help however you just have to know your limits :}:}:}. I can build a house, plumb it almost wire it, cabinets, all in between; Fly around the world in almost any kind of weather, but this damn software kills me LOL

wbarnes

Will
Corporate Member
@Skymaster one of the Marine Corps leadership principles is “know yourself and seek self improvement”. At least you know yourself enough to know your limits. No shame in that.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS