Large Outdoor building set for kids

Status
Not open for further replies.

eyekode

New User
Salem
My daughter has taken to raiding my scraps and "building" things in the yard. I would like to encourage this :).

I remember seeing a project to make plywood boards with notches to link the pieces together. Sorta like large flat lincoln logs. But My searches are coming up empty. Does this ring a bell for anyone?
Thanks!
Salem

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
My guess is the T-shaped cut is the result of the radius of the cutter they're using in the Shopbot.
If they had a tiny radius cutter they could cut essentially square inside corners and the parts would slot together.
But you'd have to slow way down to avoid breaking the cutter.
If you just trace out the square cut with a large radius you get a big shoulder and one shoulder ends up resting on the other when you stack them.

Solution is the T or dogbone cut which leaves a virtual corner where the two parts can snug up tight.

my .02 worth

eyekode

New User
Salem
Thanks for the explanation. I buy it! If they go deeper they would weaken the board. And without the T shape the joint would only touch at two small points which would dent easily.
Salem

NCTurner

New User
Gary
Salem, I am pretty sure I have the Builder Boards book, if you are interested I will see if I can dig it up to loan you.

eyekode

New User
Salem
That would be awesome! If you do find it I could swing by and pick it up. I am off work tomorrow. But if you can't find it no big deal. Looks pretty simple.
Thanks!
Salem

eyekode

New User
Salem
Thanks for looking! The 1950's article has some suggested sizes for a "set". I think that is all I really need.
Salem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS