Lamp with Walnut Shell Shade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mtnman

New User
Talley Pollard
I was wondering if anyone that attended Klingspors 'woodworking show' in Hickory NC. last September saw the table lamp that was on display by one of the woodworking clubs that were displaying items crafted by their members?

This particular table lamp had a very unsual but absolutely georgous shade made from sliced walnut shells. The slices were edge glued together to form a dome or inverted bowl shape about 12in across. The light shone out through the holes where the nuts used to be. The glue holding it all together was sort of a black epoxy the same color as the shells. I was very impressed with this lamp! Unfortunately there was no one there to ask the many questions I had about it's construction, as I would really like to try my luck building one.

Anyone know anything about this lamp? Are there plans available anywhere? I can't seem to find anything anywhere, and I really would like to build this lamp, but I don't want to reinvent the wheel.

Hope to hear from someone. - mtnman

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
I wasn't able to make the show this year but several from the site attended. Hopefully someone will know the source. If not, Woodguy knows many of the people at Klingspor and maybe he can help track it down.

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
Maybe someone on this site will be able to help you. I know we had quite a few people that all met there.

woodguy1975

New User
John
I'll see what I can come up with. The shop should have pics of all the projects and know who displayed what somewhere.

Thanks,

John

Mtnman

New User
Talley Pollard
Thanks for all the interest so far. I wish I had been able to get more information when I saw it at the show, but as I said there was no one there to talk to. I'm thinking that maybe this was an Original creation, and the process is known only by the creator.

Some how they sawed or cut the Walnut shells in slices about 1/4 in thick, they must have used some kind of a jig, glued them together on a form of some kind, in an inverted bowl shape with some special glue or paste and created a really beautiful lamp shade.

I will keep looking here and hoping for more info.

J. Fred Muggs

New User
Fred Ray
Mtnman:

The lamp you refer to was made by Mr. Warren Carpenter of Seneca, SC. Warren is president of the Carolina Mountain Woodturners which meets at the Folk Art Center on the Blue Ridge Parkway in Asheville. This link to CMW will give you an email link to Warren: http://www.carolinamountainwoodturners.org/ Look under "contact us".

Warren is a member of the Southern Highlands Craft Guild and does a lot of turnings where he incorporates a walnut shell into the side of a bowl. I'm sure he will be happy to tell you how he does it. He's told me, but I'll let him tell you so nothing's lost in translation.

Mtnman

New User
Talley Pollard
Thanks Fred, That is exactly the information that I was looking for. I will contact Mr Carpenter as you suggest. Thanks again, I owe you one.:icon_thum - MTNMAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS