Laguna parts source?

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
I purchased a used Laguna 18LT bandsaw that is missing the stop switch. While the saw is operable with just the on/off switch, I'd prefer to have this safety cutoff installed. Does anyone know of a local source for Laguna parts? The saw model is 18LT. I found a PDF copy of the manual, but it does not give a part number. Likewise, their parts web site leaves much to be desired (no pictures, poor search function, lack of description, etc). Specifically, I'm looking for the big red button in the picture below. The wiring cover on the back is also cracked, so I might as well fix this while I'm at it.

Thanks

1646530276152.png

JRedding

John
Corporate Member
You might check with Leneave Woodworking & Machinery Supply in Charlotte (sorry, can’t see your location). Family owned, very helpful and carries Laguna.

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thanks for the reference. I'm in the Raleigh area, but main thing I'm looking for is someone I can call that is familiar with Laguna, so Charlotte works. I'll reach out to them on Monday.

Wiley's Woodworks

Wiley
Corporate Member
Three years ago I needed a new on/off switch for my Laguna 16HD. I don't remember how I found them, but I wound up talking to a factory support guy in California, and he sent me exactly what I needed. Search "Laguna Tools Distributor" and see where that leads you.

zapdafish

New User
Steve
laguna customer support is pretty good now. Charlotte isn't really local to Raleigh, might as well get it from the source if its got to be mailed.

etout00

Erik
Senior User
Just reach out to Laguna tech/parts support. I just ordered some parts for my 14BX to convert from 220v to 110v….the parts contact responded quick and the parts shipped out within the same week.

Just call Laguna direct.

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thanks for the suggestions. After a couple of tries I was able to connect with customer support at Laguna Tools. Unfortunately, they were not able to help. It seems the saw I have was manufactured in 1998 by MEBER for Laguna. The factory no longer exists and they are not able to supply replacement parts. The electronics are different in the later models as well.

The main part I was hoping to find is the stop switch above the main on/off switch. TBH, I'm not sure how important this feature is since the saw works fine w/o it. I'm hoping someone who has this model can provide some clarity as to its purpose. Is it strictly a safety feature? A quick way to cut off the machine? At this point my plan is to make a plate that covers the hole in the frame so the wiring isn't exposed, move on and start using my saw.

IMG_3241.JPG

JNCarr

Joe
Corporate Member
Im wondering if you can get a generic stop/start mag switch from McMaster Carr (not related!) or others and make a plate to accommodate it into the existing hole. With your skills, it would probably be better than the original! If you have the schematic, I can look at it to try to decipher its use.

Robert LaPlaca

Robert
Senior User
Jim, my understanding is stop switch(es) is a EU requirement, maybe it was originally on your machine and someone removed, rather than trying to find a replacement. The electrical switches used in Italian machines were kind of problematic, I know since I own two SCM machines

You might have some luck with a company like Wolf Automation for your search.

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
If you have the schematic, I can look at it to try to decipher its use.
Something else I asked customer support for was a copy of the manual. I figured there would be a PDF copy online, but they were not able to provide that either. The only manuals I can find are ones for later versions of this machine.

From what I can tell there are no loose wires that would have connected to the off switch. Either it never had one, or the previous owner was clever enough to bypass this and reroute the wires. I hadn't thought about this being an EU requirement. Makes sense.

For now, I'll just make a cover to keep dust out of the opening. Aftermarket options are a good suggestion. I might have to replace both switches if these need to be kept as a pair. Are the electronics in these switches in any way paired to the motor? I'm not sure how sophisticated they are. My assumption is that it is a basic magnetic switch for the 220V motor.

Robert LaPlaca

Robert
Senior User
For now, I'll just make a cover to keep dust out of the opening. Aftermarket options are a good suggestion. I might have to replace both switches if these need to be kept as a pair. Are the electronics in these switches in any way paired to the motor? I'm not sure how sophisticated they are. My assumption is that it is a basic magnetic switch for the 220V motor.
Jim, if the Meber bandsaw switch is anything like the famous Centauro (MiniMax) switch, it’s a magnetic switch, with a solenoid that kills the power if either door is opened or the brake is applied, the big red button on your saw might have been connected to the solenoid too. A schematic would be helpful…but after seeing SCM machine manuals wouldn’t be hopeful.

Millmarks

Doug
Corporate Member
Something else I asked customer support for was a copy of the manual. I figured there would be a PDF copy online, but they were not able to provide that either. The only manuals I can find are ones for later versions of this machine.

From what I can tell there are no loose wires that would have connected to the off switch. Either it never had one, or the previous owner was clever enough to bypass this and reroute the wires. I hadn't thought about this being an EU requirement. Makes sense.

I found this manual online. Looks like it's the same possibly. https://860860.app.netsuite.com/cor...0538&c=860860&h=979aec9d9982819a74e5&_xt=.pdf

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thanks @chris_goris. If I understand you correctly, pressing the stop switch breaks the low-voltage current to the solenoid that is keeping the power to the motor. Is that about right? This is the last reply I got from Laguna:

So the new switches would not be compatible for the '98 LT18 as the electronic components are completely different. As for the manual, I tried looking thru our database and it looks like they got rid of it awhile back and I can't find it via Google either. I apologize for this inconvenience.

Hard to imagine the electronics have really changed for this simple of a switch. I could more easily imagine the cover plates not matching between old and new. I'm gonna remove the switch and post a picture here. Maybe you and others can help me wire up an after-market switch as you suggest. Stay tuned...

Last edited:

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
I finally got around to removing the on/off switch cover and pulling out the switch. What I found is there are two red wires coming from the switch that have been connected with a wire nut (second picture). This is low-voltage gauge wire. I'm sure these originally went to the E-Stop switch shown in @chris_goris diagram. Probably the stop switch malfunctioned and rather than replace they removed it and wired it directly as a pass thru. Seems about any stop switch would work.
IMG_3272.JPG
IMG_3270.JPG

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
Donald at Machine Parts a division of J & G Machinery in Sanford should be able to help. provided he hasn't retired since i've talked to him

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
I finally got around to removing the on/off switch cover and pulling out the switch. What I found is there are two red wires coming from the switch that have been connected with a wire nut (second picture). This is low-voltage gauge wire. I'm sure these originally went to the E-Stop switch shown in @chris_goris diagram. Probably the stop switch malfunctioned and rather than replace they removed it and wired it directly as a pass thru. Seems about any stop switch would work.
View attachment 209387View attachment 209388
sorry for just getting back to this! been in Belize for 2 weeks!. more on that later... but yea, i suspected a wirenut was their fix. All the switch does is drop power to the energized side of the motor mag switch. Just buy the one from Grizzly and mount it.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS