lacquer repair?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I have a friend at work whose daughter set a bottle of fingernail polish remover (Acetone free?) on her dining table. It left a ring of dissolved finish.

Is there a way to repair this without refinishing the whole table top?

It is a factory finish on dark stained pine - solid wood, so probably lacquer.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I would think that since lacquer burns into each coat and doesn't build in layers that you should be able to feather out the repair area to blend with the rest of the table. I don't think that you would need to strip and re-finish it all but it might require a single application over the whole surface to get everything even again once the repair is built up.

Dave:)

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
As Dave said, we feather this stuff out every day in the body industry. It is a very workable product and is fairly easy to repair. You should have good success.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Mike a high speed buffer with that pink auto body compound you can get from NAPA works pretty well and will most always heat the lacquer up enough that you can feather the repair. Just take it easy or you'll make it worse. Above all if there was ever any wax like pledge applied, you might as well strip it and start over because you'll never be able to remove all the silicon from within the finish. You can try a little naptha (lighter fluid) but a product like wax wash by mohawk is much better. Keep in the back of your mind to wash an entire top is kind of pointless and would be easier (in the long run) to strip and refinish...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS