Lacquer over Oil/Poly mix?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtrager

New User
Mitch
Is it OK to spray Lacquer (from a can) over an oil/poly mix first coat?

I have very little experience with Lacquer and when it is appropriate to use.

Thanks in advance,

Mitch

hutchwood

New User
dennis hutchens
mitch, if you've got time, try your oil/poly on some scrap and then apply the lacquer....give it a few days to see if there is any reaction.....

maybe call a paint store like sherwin williams, etc....to see if they can help

good luck

rhett

New User
rhett
I know that spraying laquer over danish oil is not a problem, I would think that you would be OK. Why switch finishes?

Tom Dunn

New User
Tom Dunn
What is one looking to gain by applying oil under a laquer or poly, as opposed to a stain first or even just applying the laquer or poly directly to the wood surface? Essentially, what does oil bring to the situation?

mtrager

New User
Mitch
Thanks for all your comments - I should have mentioned I am finishing curly maple and used the oil to make the grain really stand out. It is a complex piece and spraying would make life much easier.

Thanks for the tip (should have thought of it myself) for testing on scrap.

rhett

New User
rhett
What is one looking to gain by applying oil under a laquer or poly, as opposed to a stain first or even just applying the laquer or poly directly to the wood surface? Essentially, what does oil bring to the situation?

An oil will give wood grain a deeper more 3D look. A laquer or poly finish sets up on the surface before it has time to penetrate. By using an oil then a laquer/poly, you get the grain poping effect of the oil combined with the durability of a film forming finish. The key is to let the oil dry completely, at minimum a week, before applying your desired finish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors