Lacquer a safe finish to eat off of?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sasjzl

New User
Jim
Quick question. I am planning to finish some bowls with lacquer for aesthetic reasons and am wondering if that is safe to eat or drink off of or is there anything to do to make it safe?

Thanks very much,
Jim Lee

flyrod444

New User
Jack
Hi Jim,
Lacquer is not a great choice for food that is wet in any way. I use one bowl finished with Lacquer as a fruit bowl for apples and oranges. We use one with a towel in it to serve bread from some times. They say that all finishes are safe after they are dry. Deft is not good to use on anything that is to get wet. The two finishes I use for bowls that have to be wet or washed are Walnut oil, or Behlen salad bowl finish. The Behlen can be built up to produce a satin shine better than walnut oil.

To answer your ? from my thread. I use a brush to put the first two coats of deft lacquer on most of my bowls. It safes me money and does a better job of sealing the wood. I have a old deft can I keep about 1/4 full with a brush in it that I never take out. This way I never have to clean the brush. Use a good brush or you will be picking brush hairs off your bowl a lot. This seals the grain mostly. I then use 400 grit sand paper and 0000 steel wool to smooth out any runs or bad spots the brush left. I then spray 4 or 5 light coats of deft satin spray on the bowl, using steel wool between coat as needed. I let it dry for at least one day some times more before I buff it using all three steps with the Beall system. You can make it shine from satin to high gloss with the buffing system. Just make sure to hold onto your bowl using the beall or it can become an UFO. Done that a few times, never with a good ending.
Happy Turning,
Jack

dpanda

New User
Dan
The biggest danger with lacquer is when you're spraying it or painting it! Make sure you're in a well ventilated area or outside!

I just refinished a coffee table, and it wasn't in a well ventilated area. Well this Youtube video is about what my dreams where like the night I refinished the coffee table!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gn-s5cmy8dU&feature=related

The video is Primus- Lacquer Head

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS