Labyrinth Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chemeleon

Administrator
Matt
The past month, Baileigh Industrial has been running a contest over at Sawmill Creek, where you had to build a box incorporating their logo. I'd had this general box idea bouncing around my head for a few months, so decided to use the contest as impetuous to actually build the box and see if I could get the latch mechanism working.

Basically, its got one of those old labyrinth marble games built into the lid. In order to unlatch it and open the lid, you have to get the marble into the goal, which connects the button on the outside to t he mechanism on the inside. The latch mechanism is just made from a bit of flatabar stock - cutout a hook piece with the top rounded and pegged to the front of the box for the latch, and the lid has a piece of metal connected to the sliding button mechanism that slips under that hook to hold it shut, with springs connected to it all so they return to position after moving. Not really super complex, just a lot of fiddling to find what got everything moving in the right positions.

The rest of the box is pretty standard mitered corner box construction, withh walnut and maple, curly okume on the inside of the lid, and some mystery veneer I had a few sheets of for the big band around it.

Oh, and if you have a Sawmill Creek account and like this box, I would appreciate a vote :) (I'm Matt Mitman over there) http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?202772-Vote-For-Your-Favorite-Baileigh-Box-Contest-Entry My full writeup is on page 3 of that thread.

[video=youtube;bBvPJkOtCIY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=bBvPJkOtCIY[/video]

baileighBox_done1.jpgbaileighBox_done2.jpgbaileighBox_done3.jpgbaileighBox_done4.jpgbaileighBox_done5.jpg

Dan Bowman

New User
Dan Bowman
Very impressive! I was never very good with that game as a kid, so I probably would have made the holes smaller.

Chemeleon

Administrator
Matt
Thanks for the compliments everyone :)

Scott, that had been my hope, but seems its not to be, as I'm solidly in 4th place (1st has about 12x my votes currently) with just a couple days to go. Oh well, at least I know I can make this box concept work now, when I'd started on it, wasn't sure I could make a functional latch mechanism to fit it.

MagGeorge

New User
George
Cool, fun and good looking box! Great design and mechanism which make it unique and interesting. Great job and good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors