Klingspor's Grand Opening

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Turner

David
Corporate Member
So I volunteered to perform a demonstration (carving) at the grand opening this coming Saturday in Carey. I have not done any demonstrations or presentations to the general public. Can you give me some guidance as to what to expect. Will there be a lot of questions? Any experience feedback others have had would be helpful to give me an idea as to how the day will go.

Or do I just keep my head down and carve?

David Turner
North Raleigh

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
David, This is a bit of a guess, but I am thinking you will get a fair amount of questions. Your audience will be woodworkers, not the general public, and will probably have what you are demoing on their bucket list. There will be a lot of interest and we appreciate you doing this.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have done exactly what you're proposing to do at another venue. I mostly worked on completing my relief carving and whenever somebody stopped by to observe, I showed them some of the techniques that I was using, emphasizing that you need to be multi-handed in order to account for the way the grain was making you move the chisel.

I find that people just want to see what you're doing and have you explain the reasons for doing it the way you are. It actually may help you define the reasons you're doing it a certain way having to explain it to somebody else.

I've found that teaching somebody that I learn a lot of the why's myself.

Don't worry about making a lot of converts to your craft, just do your best to explain the way you do things - and others might decide to try it themselves.

And thank you for your support of us and our supporters.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Try to talk about what you are doing as you go. Make eye contact but only as much as it is practical and safe. Relax and have fun with it.

Last edited:

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
Just relax and have fun! Kudos to you just for volunteering! You'll do great! The best part is make chips, talk through some of the special cuts, and do what Ken said!!!

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
If possible, try to have a finished project for the audience to see what you are working towards. As you carve, you can explain how you have to do the carving in a certain sequence to get to your final finished piece.

Roy G

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
If possible, try to have a finished project for the audience to see what you are working towards. As you carve, you can explain how you have to do the carving in a certain sequence to get to your final finished piece.

Roy G

That's very important, people may not get interested watching you work if they don't know what you're working towards.

David Turner

David
Corporate Member
Thanks guys:

I am taking all of the suggestions and incorporating them; I hope to have fun so stop by and say hello. If you are a carver I will let you take over while I take a pee break.

David Turner
North Raleigh

David Turner

David
Corporate Member
WHAT ! Surely you jest.

But the apron is a good idea. I had forgotten that item.

David Turner
North Raleigh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors