Kitchen knife blanks?

Billm0066

Bill
User
Im a realtor and make cutting boards for clients when they close on their home. These are very much appreciated. I also do gifts when someone refers me business but when I have a client that has sent me a few deals I run out of stuff to make them so I buy them something instead. I wanted to get into knife making. I dont want to do anything with the metal at all. Basically make a handle and attach it to the blank that is already sharp and ready to go. Does anyone have any recommendations for a company, website, or something else they can recommend. Im leaning towards doing chef knifes, maybe a santoku, and want moderately priced with decent performance. $50 or less for a blank would be ideal. Woodcraft carries Zhen which is chinese and the price point matches. I will look into those. just seeing if anyone can recommend something along those lines.

I havent made a knife handle before. What I would do i make a template and use that to trace onto the blanks. I like things I can repeat quickly to cut my time in the shop. Cutting boards are awesome for this. If anyone has made knife handles I would appreciate any input you have.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member

This is the address for Ron Hocks knife blade blanks. I have made lots of knife handles in the past. The key is finding a way to attach the handle to the knife blade.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I have bought a lot from Texas knife maker's supply and never been disappointed.

Knife blades, handle materials, specialty rivets and screws, grinding and polishing, pretty much everything you would need.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
Mike that looks like a good source to explore. I don't buy stainless steel knife blades. I like high carbon and I just keep them out of the sink and water. Don't mean to sound too insistent but Ron's plane blades and knife blades have been just outstanding.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Mike that looks like a good source to explore. I don't buy stainless steel knife blades. I like high carbon and I just keep them out of the sink and water. Don't mean to sound too insistent but Ron's plane blades and knife blades have been just outstanding.
Still TKS is great for the rest of the supplies. And they have other blades as well as blade material to grind or tap-tap-tap your own.

Jclrk

Jclrk
Corporate Member
I belive turning treasures in Charlotte has the material also Ken also gave me a mold he designed for knife scales awesome people

wolfsburged

New User
Bill
I'm involved with a makerspace in downtown Raleigh called ShopSpace which has a big blacksmithing and knife-making focus.

I'm not a knife maker/expert but there are a lot of those around you might get some good info on, or take a class if interested in making from scratch!

Charlie Buchanan

Charlie
Corporate Member
I havent made a knife handle before. What I would do i make a template and use that to trace onto the blanks. I like things I can repeat quickly to cut my time in the shop. Cutting boards are awesome for this. If anyone has made knife handles I would appreciate any input you have.
[/QUOTE]

Hock’s knife kit page has good method for fitting the handles.
I like the steel, too. But it is tool steel and will rust and discolor if you don’t keep it dry and out of the dishwasher.

Billm0066

Bill
User
I'm involved with a makerspace in downtown Raleigh called ShopSpace which has a big blacksmithing and knife-making focus.

I'm not a knife maker/expert but there are a lot of those around you might get some good info on, or take a class if interested in making from scratch!

These are client gifts. I need to be able to turn them out quickly so scratch is a no go. Sounds fun though. I have limited time in the shop with two in diapers. I made 40 cutting boards last year, about a dozen other gifts, and a few personal projects and I was close to my max free time I could invest. Cutting boards used to take me a while but now I can batch them up and make 5-10 at a time. Need more clamps…. I think the ones from woodcraft might be a good option so I will buy one to try it.

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
Give Jantz a look, they sell a good product, but often sell out. I've gotten fillet and oyster knife blanks from them and have been satisfied with the quality, prices are reasonable too. You can email them if sold out and they fill orders pretty quick to repeat customers.

Jantz Knife Making

Hjanes

Harlan
User
I've made six knives from Ron Hock's blades. The steel work is excellent, and Ron's got them really sharp. Instructions with them are straightforward such that any woodworker skill level can do it.
His plane blades work well, too, and are ready to use out of the box.
Harlan

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
@Billm0066 I saw an advertisement for Damascus kitchen knives in the Woodcraft flyer and they were on sale, but there was a Stainless Steel Bread knife blank for $20.69.
I always ask Klingspor what they have first that is comparable.
If they don't have anything, for $21 and your labor for a bread knife, seems like a GREAT reasonably priced gift?! (What is it, salt, bread and a bread knife for a new homeowner? LOL)

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS