King Seeley Drill Press Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
I previously posted about the problem with the belt changing mechanism on my King Seeley drill press with the VariSlow accessory. (I have no idea why this board automatically locks threads that are evergreen.) The shifting mechanism does not lock down, so the belts slip. It turns out that a piece is missing. When I get a chance tomorrow, I'll take another look, but it seems that this nylon clamping pad is gone:

$_57.JPG

Someone on eBay must have made a tool to produce them, and they're selling for $10 each. If that piece will work with mine (the knob is tightened down so much that I am unable to loosen it), I might just have a good drill press, which I need.

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
What do you mean by "threads that are evergreen". I also don't like that threads are automatically closed after a certain period of time.

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
What do you mean by "threads that are evergreen". I also don't like that threads are automatically closed after a certain period of time.

I presume he is referring to the fact that threads that have had no activity whatsoever for 60 consecutive days are automatically closed. Such threads are closed to prevent ancient threads from being constantly resurrected each time a new member joins, as is often seen on sites that do not lock old threads (you can find threads originally about Windows 95 that are still being appended to by people asking questions about Windows 8.1, Linux and Macs, or worse, that are thousands of posts long) -- which tends to eventually create very long threads that inevitably drift considerably from their original topic which both tends to annoy many and which makes searching and reading such threads unwieldy when 10yr old threads can be forever resurrected in place of a newer and more up-to-date threads.

However, if you are the original owner of a thread that has been closed due to extended inactivity and you have new content relevant to that thread, you may make a request to us to re-open your thread -- any admin or moderator can open a closed thread for you, all it takes is asking as we very seldom refuse such requests.

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
It means that they are not out-of-date over time. A thread on a 1950 drill press is not stale after 60 days. It's a policy that the board needs to revisit.

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
I can see some merit in closing a thread after an extended period of inactivity. I have a few suggestions:

1) Make the time longer. 90 days or 120 days would be better in my opinion. I have had to request an old thread to be opened on more than one occasion (yes I work very slowly), so I have evidence that the time is too short.
2) Allow the original poster to re-open the thread without having to ask an admin or moderator.
If you are concerned with someone coming in and opening all of their old threads and deleting them (I think this has come up in the past), then simply require a request to an admin to delete threads.

Just my 2 cents.
Jeremy

Chemeleon

Administrator
Matt
That looks like you could make it out of delrin quite easily - chuck it on a lathe, turn it to dimension, and slice off the flat on the bandsaw. Probably wouldn't be cheaper than the premade one, but you'd have a chunk of delrin leftover :)

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
Things are finally starting to make sense. After seeing the clamping pad on eBay, I went back to the manual for the Vari-Slow attachment to critically exam the clamping mechanism. It appears that the threaded knob backs out to leave space to insert the stem of the clamping pad. I always thought the clamping pad was metal. With that information, I took some PB Blaster and was able to loosen the knob and shaft. It now moves freely within the threaded portion of the control arm.

Does anyone know what the original material for the clamping pad was? Rubber doesn't seem robust enough, but I haven't tried it yet, either. It will be interesting to see how it works. I could sure use a drill press that works.

KS Clamping Knob.jpg

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
If you have the dimensions of that part I can probably make it for you. I have a 2 inch rod of Delrin that I have used for several projects like this.

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
If you have the dimensions of that part I can probably make it for you. I have a 2 inch rod of Delrin that I have used for several projects like this.
I may have to take you up on that, Mike. I have no idea how or whether the piece I've ordered will work. Thanks!

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
Problem solved. The part arrived. It's hard rubber, and it installs just the way I guessed. It locks the belt changing mechanism just fine. I finally have a drill press. Cool!

Last edited:

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Problem solved. The part arrived. It's hard rubber, and it installs just the way I guess. It locks the belt changing mechanism just fine. I finally have a drill press. Cool!
so... where is it? I didn't think you had any place for your tools?

(picturing in my head a drill press in the Kitchen or Dining room!!!):rotflm:

(incase you don't know Mike veey well he and his wife are pretty classy and this would NEVER happen...:nah:)

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
so... where is it? I didn't think you had any place for your tools?
(picturing in my head a drill press in the Kitchen or Dining room!!!):rotflm:
(in case you don't know Mike very well, he and his wife are pretty classy and this would NEVER happen...:nah:)
It's in the dining room.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
... This is where it is my duty to remind members that it didn't happen if there are no pictures (oh and Mike we WILL know if they have been photoshopped!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS