King headboard- need design help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
We got a metal king bed frame to turn two beds into a king size bed for my daughter and SIL who will be staying with us for a month before they head overseas for their next posting. After setting it up, my wife decided the bed needed a headboard.

My first thought was to whip up something really simple, then I thought why not make something nice- a complete walnut bed frame with headboard, footboard, and rails as the first piece of a whole bedroom suite I plan to build someday. Unfortunately I spent too much time working on my garage hanging and finishing wallboard, and ran out of time. I was forced to go back to my original plan- sort of.

Even though it only took me a half day, the design and construction of the headboard ended up being a little more complex than planned. I had the wood on hand- 5/4 red oak I milled to 4/4. Though I don't like plainsawn oak much I used it anyway. The panels are 1/2" MDF. It weighs a ton. I planned to paint it white but couldn't bring myself to cover up the nice looking oak, so I used poly. I can always paint it white later.

My daughter and SIL will use it as is, but I want to complete the finish after they are gone. However, I don't know what to do with the MDF panels. Should I paint them, if so what color? One thought was to ask my friend Ernie to teach me the faux finish technique he uses on his harpsichords, marble or sponge finish, and possibly paint the recess edges a solid color.

Pics taken after first coat of poly.

IMG_32361.jpg

IMG_32281.jpg

IMG_3234.jpg

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Reminds me of a piece of wall art I did for one of my sisters. I glued some large pictures to the panels. The pics comprised a panoramic Venetian scene.

You gonna use your hoist to lower that heavyweight to the ground?:rotflm:

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
How about a chocolate color on the panels some of them have red tones that might compliment the oak. BTW great job on the design and construction.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Painting the panels is certainly one option. I'd be tempted to let my daughter choose the color she wants. Applying a veneer of a matching or contrasting wood is another option. Finish it off w/ a slight molding around the edges, kinda like a picture frame. Maybe some crotch walnut or maple panels. Another option is to apply some type of heavy fabric or adhesive art work. Basically, I'd give it to my daughter "as is" and tell her to think of it as 4 blank canvases to do what she wants with.

It's a beautiful piece of work, by the way. :icon_thum

Bill

peteb301

Pete
Corporate Member
MDF ??? -- PAINT ??? !
Hey Alan , somebody hijacked your ID .
That can't be Alan from little Washington - OK the Oak looks great !!:rotflm::rotflm::rotflm:
Better use would have been Oak raised panels.

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
MDF ??? -- PAINT ??? !
Hey Alan , somebody hijacked your ID .
That can't be Alan from little Washington - OK the Oak looks great !!:rotflm::rotflm::rotflm:
Better use would have been Oak raised panels.

I know, I know. I had the (almost free) oak and remember it was originally going to be paint grade.

Besides, I've done flat and raised panels before and am really intrigued by some of the other ideas- fabric, leather, pictures, sponge paint, faux marble paint, etc. and are something I've never done before.

How about one of treatments Ernie uses on his harpsichords but with colors appropriate for the oak and room?:

spidersinglebrown.jpg

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Alan, a foam backed leather would look nice over the mdf - perhaps a burgundy or something to match the room.

If you ever want any wide oak veneer, give me a call. My veneer manufacturing line is totally operational and I can mill it up to 16" wide.

Scott

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Alan, a foam backed leather would look nice over the mdf - perhaps a burgundy or something to match the room.

If you ever want any wide oak veneer, give me a call. My veneer manufacturing line is totally operational and I can mill it up to 16" wide.

Scott

Thanks. One of these days I need to get out your way to check out your shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS