Keepsake Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
Below are some pics of a Keepsake Box I just finished for a close friends new granddaughter. The box is made of a curly maple carcass with qtr sawn sycamore panels for the top and bottom. The top and bottom are also banded with paduck for accent and the box is lined with Brazilian Cherry. The tray is a piston fit and is made from curly maple and walnut. The finish is maple dye followed with Watco natural and then three-four coats of satin lacquer.

Thanks for looking

Dan C.
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• Keepsake 1.JPG
    Keepsake 1.JPG
    138.6 KB · Views: 236
  • Keepsake 2.JPG
    Keepsake 2.JPG
    103.4 KB · Views: 248
  • Keepsake 3.JPG
    Keepsake 3.JPG
    119.2 KB · Views: 251
  • Keepsake 4.JPG
    Keepsake 4.JPG
    113.1 KB · Views: 237

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Great craftsmanship all the way around from the selection of woods and grain patterns, to building the box, to the finish! That should score Best Of Show anywhere Dan.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Nicely done Dan!

What is a "piston fit" tray in a box and how/why is that done? Is that a tiny pair of rare earth magnets on the box lid and front?

I haven't built many boxes and tried one with a sliding tray, not a piston fit by any means.

P1170003.jpg

P1090015.jpg

P1170005.jpg

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
Jeff,

Nice box and I also do the sliding tray...it depends on the intended use of the box.

Regarding your questions:

Yes there are two small rare earth mags (front top & front side).

A piston fit is a fairly tight fitting tray that will descend slowly. It is more for aesthetics than any particular function. See David Barron's video for a more detailed example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTa6xeVWavI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors