Karate belt shelf

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Crews

New User
Paul Crews
Finally, I have finished the shelves to hold my boys' Karate stuff. Trophies go on top, the diffenent color belts go in the slots in the middle, and the uniform is hung on the pegs. The boys got tired of their loft beds and got foutons to sleep on so I recycled the wood from the loft beds into their shelves. I ended up making two for my boys and one for their friend. This project was a real treat for me as I'm still learning to do a lot of stuff in woodworking. I got to resaw the 2x6's into 3/4" boards and edge glue boards together to make wider ones. I learned how to make stopped dados and stopped rabbits. Also I learned that I don't have enough clamps (not that anyone really has enough clamps). I could only glue up two shelves at a time. All three boys got to pick out their color of stain for the shelf. One is red oak, golden oak, and dark walnut. Each got two coats of poly.

Attachments

• P1010342.JPG
    P1010342.JPG
    128 KB · Views: 214
  • P1010343.JPG
    P1010343.JPG
    125.7 KB · Views: 215
  • P1010345.JPG
    P1010345.JPG
    126.5 KB · Views: 210

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Wow, those look great. I like the consistency in the three pieces, not easy to do. Plus the use of reclaimed materials from the old beds makes them extra special.
Great job :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
Dave:)

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Hey Paul, those shelves look great.:icon_thum It sounds like you learned a lot while making these shelves. Is the wood working shop still open over there at Campbell? Have you ever used it before?

D L

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Great work, Paul.:eusa_clap

That design is very unique! Can't say that I have ever seen a shelf made specifically for Karate memorabilia.

Super design and very functional. I am sure that there will be even more Karate students knocking down your door for one!

Wayne

P Crews

New User
Paul Crews
Thanks for the compliments. I had to go with something functional since the 2 boys share a room and space is kind of limited.

DL, the wood shop moved into a new building. My wife saw it when she did a stained glass class and said it was nice. Eventually I'll get up there to check it out.

My next task is to build a rack to hang the boys swords and bo. I know scary thought of boys and swords. I've gotten some ideas from a Karate supply catalog but was wondering if anyone has every made a rack before.

Thanks,

Paul

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Paul, I made a couple of display racks before for NCO swords that were presented as farewell gifts. I am not sure if the rack you are planning to make is for display or everyday use type storage. I made mine out of red oak (not the best choice) and they worked fine for display purposes. The blade of the sword sat in a saw kerf. The only advice I can give you is be selective on the type of wood you use and pay attention to the grain orientation if your rack will be used for daily type storage. I had one of the supports split on me because the grain was parallel with the saw kerf the sword blade sat in. Shoot me a PM if you have any questions.

D L

P Crews

New User
Paul Crews
The swords will be in their scabbards and the racks will hang on the wall in their room. Hopefully the swords will stay in the rack 99% of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS