Kaizen foam toolbox liner; what a PITB

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
I have a Bosch 12v driver/impact set that came in one of those soft canvas bags. Apart from being dust magnets, those bags do a poor job of holding your tools and don't keep them from rattling around inside the bag.

I was watching some YT videos where guys organized their toolboxes with Kaizen foam cut to the shape of their tools and decided to give it a try. Based on the videos it looked like a half hour job.

Two hours later:

1676411058798.jpeg

It's easy, they said. You'll want to do your whole shop they said.

Cutting to the shape of the tool was easy. The hard part is getting the layers of foam to come out evenly. It was not nearly as easy as the videos made it seem. Once I pulled the bulk of the foam out of each compartment, I ended up putting a spiral router bit in my drill press and setting the depth gauge for each area to flatten the bottoms.

That's a Makita Makpac systainer. They're compatible with the older Festool ones as well as Metabo, Mafell. Mirka, and Tanos. They're all made by Tanos.

Last edited:

Kelly

Kelly
User
I resaw the stuff on my bandsaw leaving only about 3 layers. Then I cut out my shape. I get a much cleaner cut through the thin piece. Then I glue the cutoff back on. This process works well for me.

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
Your end result looks good. The first time with anything is always slower due to the learning curve. I use an electric knife, for the less precise cuts. A thin coping saw blade for others (blade only).
Where did you get the material? (The pieces I have are from packaging but would like to get some bigger sheets.)

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
Your end result looks good. The first time with anything is always slower due to the learning curve. I use an electric knife, for the less precise cuts. A thin coping saw blade for others (blade only).
Where did you get the material? (The pieces I have are from packaging but would like to get some bigger sheets.)
Amazon

FASTCAP Kaizen Foam 57 mm Black

It's 24" x 48" x 2-1/4" thick, enough to do six systainers. I've only done one, so there is plenty left. I might use the remainder to do a large tool box drawer.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS