K.I.S.S. Wood Storage Shelf

Status
Not open for further replies.

JOAT

New User
Theo
Yep, I ai'nt dead yet. Among other things just made a take-down workbench, with interchangable bases on a column, each base with a different tool bolted to it - metal vise, bench sander, angle grinder stand, pounderonner, and even one with my mitre saw (just in case I want to use that on it too) - the mitre saw sits on a top on my wood lathe so the base is proving it's worth already, I can shift it without the saw tipping when I push it over the edge of the top, plus now it's an extra inch higher (from a spacer) so can just tip it and any sawdust under it should just pour out. The purpose of the bench is to be able to sit down while working, my joints really don't like me standing much at a time, like maybe a minute or so, and to be able to also take it out of the shop and work, or to take it shooting.

Doing this I needed to get some shelf space available to set some of these tools and bases on, and needed to put up at least one more wood storage shelf. I'd been putting off doing the shelf because I had issued with my other ones, getting the bracket level, getting the bracket at the same height as the others, doing a three hand job with only two hands, and so on. I didn't look forward to it.

Then it hit me. Don't need to go thru that hassle at all. My brackets will be chunks of 2X4 about 24". All I need to do is drill pilot holes in one end of them. Then take a piece of plywood about 12"X 16 1/2" (I'll need at least 16" clearance), stand on my present wall shelf, it'll be wide enough to level the chunk of 2X4 and I'll be able to hold everything steady with one hand while I pound in nails with the other. Repeat for the other two brackets. The wood will be 4' long and will be supported by the three brackets. If I decide I want another wood storage shelf over that one all I'll need to do is determine how high above I want it, trim the chunk of plywood as needed, set it on a 2X4 bracket already nailed in and install another bracket, repeat for the other two. Wish I'd thought of this several years ago. Probably it's already been done but I've never heard of it so figured I'd pass it along.

By the way, my knockdown work bench is proving to be very handy already. I'm still looking for my grinder so I can make a base for it, been considering another bench drill press so I can do a base for that, and later will be making a base for reloading, and one as a portable shooting bench. If I could figure out how to post pictures here I'd post a few. Nothing but glue used in it's construction (Titebond II, my favorite) and is very solid - three legs for no rocking on uneven surfaces.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
This post cries out for pictures!

PM me on the side, I can walk you through the steps.

Jim

JOAT

New User
Theo
Well, I tried my idea for putting up my 2X4 brackets for my wood storage rack. Got the nail pilot holes drilled, 15 in about 2 minutes - had the locations marked on the first one, five, clamped that atop another, with the drill just a bit longer than the thickness of a 2X4, so when I drilled thru it marked the second one. Then clamped the second atop the third, repeated. Then the third was drilled. Nicely accurate way of doing it and very fast.

Inserted nails in the pilot holes, put the spacer in place, whacked nails. Had only intended doing the hardest bracket that day but it was so fast and easy did the other two also. In about 2 minutes. It was then I noticed that the top of my bench sander seemed lower than I'd figured on. By the width of a 2X4 in fact. Seems I'd not taken the 2X4 into consideration when I measured the spacer. So had to cut it 3 1/2" shorter, remove the brackets, replace the brackets in the lower position. Perfect. Almost.

It was then that I found out that the shelves for tools, that were right beside the new wood storage shelf encroaches on the wood shelf. Which means I'll have to cut about 1"-1 1/2" out of the sides of the tool shelves. And I no longer have my chainsaw, one of my sons borrowed it a few months back and proceeded to kill it. Which means I'll be fabbing new sides for those shelves, gluing them in place, then cutting with my Sawzall. A chainsaw would make it soooo much easier and faster. I'll start on it later - never put off until tommorrow what you can put off until next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors