Just pulled up a chair....

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
I just found this site recently from the recommendation of a friend. Looks like there's a pretty good group here with lots of interesting things going on. I saw a couple of threads I'd like to respond to, so I signed up and here I am. I'll be doing some lurking from time to time, but mostly I spend a lot of time over at OWWM.org/com.

Though I've got a woodworking and woodturning shop, I mostly repair and restore other people's machines, and it is from that arena that I hope to contribute. All aspects of woodworking are interesting to me from the hand tools to CNC routers.

I've got a photobucket account that has machine and machine part photos HERE if anyone's interested.

I just put in my first post and it was suggested that I sign in here so here I am.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Welcome Bob, I am glad you could join us. Your experience with old iron will be highly sought. I look forward to your input in the forums and hopefully seeing some more pictures of your work.
See you around!!!

Dave:)

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Welcome to the site, Bob!!!

I am sure that your experiences will be called upon on a fairly regular basis.

(Why buy new tools when you can fix the old. Right!!!!:gar-La;)

Jump right in and have some fun. Lot's of great folks here at the site willing to share their experiences and advice too.

Post often, stay safe and share some pictures of your projects with us as well.

Wayne

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
A very warm welcome to you Bob. I'm originally from Roanoke. It's nice to see someone on here from that neck of the woods. I look forward to your input in the forums. :icon_thum

M

McRabbet

Bob -- glad to have you join us -- as you can see from the response overnight, this is a friendly group and you'll find this a great site. I peeked at your photos and there is a wealth of info there for many to draw from. I still like your little rabbet planes from that FWW #22/pg 19 tip -- super idea and beautiful implementation from nearly 30 years ago.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Welcome Bob!
Great to have you join us. Your FWW articles and videos have been excellent references. Look forward to your participation.

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
Bob -- glad to have you join us -- as you can see from the response overnight, this is a friendly group and you'll find this a great site. I peeked at your photos and there is a wealth of info there for many to draw from. I still like your little rabbet planes from that FWW #22/pg 19 tip -- super idea and beautiful implementation from nearly 30 years ago.
Bob/Rob,
I've searched FWW for the articles with no success. Will you share where you found them, or are they even online? I have the online subscription but no older hard copies.
Thanks

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Greetings! Look forward to learning from a fellow tinkerer!

We love pics around here, and you sure dived right in!

Jim

HMH

Heath Hendrick
Senior User
Hey Bob,

Welcome to the group. You've been helping answer my questions, and generally pointing me in the right direction on OWWM for the past year or so, so I'm sure you'll be doing the same here before to long. Glad to see you here.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Bob/Rob,
I've searched FWW for the articles with no success. Will you share where you found them, or are they even online? I have the online subscription but no older hard copies.
Thanks

I'd doubt if they keep my name on file or on an on-line index these days. I just don't know how to advise on that. Sometimes computer searches have to be spot on so try Robert M. Vaughan instead of Bob.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User

I still use those wooden things I made 30 years ago from time to time. No, they can't compare to the Stanley 92, but they are handy for all sorts of little detailing when needed. At the time, there was a lot of conversation about making planes, but they all involved buying something or using metallurgy beyond my scope. "So use an existing resource - a wood chisel", I thought, and thus the tip.

This is truly a friendly group and I'm humbled by the welcome responses. I just figured I'd slip in, take a seat in the back and enjoy the show. There's a lot to be learned here. Simple questions from beginners are always great because they draw responses from people of a variety of experience levels.

Looks like I'm going to enjoy the people on this site.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Tarhead and Travis didn't go far enough!

I hope everyone here who owns or is thinking about buying a planer or jointer has watched Bob's superb FWW videos which are still on YouTube. They are the definitive guides, with step by step instructions including how to make a dial indicator jig, on proper setup, alignment and blade changing for jointers and all but the lunch box planers.

I followed his video guide setting up the old 20" Delta RC-51 I got a few years ago, and believe me, properly set up, with a sharp set of straight blades, it cuts as good as the Shelix did on my 15".

Welcome Bob!!!!

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Alan is quite correct. Your detailed videos and the down to earth way you present the subject matter is outstanding. I remember way back reading several of your articles on used/old machinery before I acquired my tool "additction".

Tarhead and Travis didn't go far enough!

I hope everyone here who owns or is thinking about buying a planer or jointer has watched Bob's superb FWW videos which are still on YouTube. They are the definitive guides, with step by step instructions including how to make a dial indicator jig, on proper setup, alignment and blade changing for jointers and all but the lunch box planers.

I followed his video guide setting up the old 20" Delta RC-51 I got a few years ago, and believe me, properly set up, with a sharp set of straight blades, it cuts as good as the Shelix did on my 15".

Welcome Bob!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors