Just posted photos of my Dad's tools

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharp Blade

New User
Anna-Catherine
Hi all, I just posted photos in my new galley. Just a few of the planes he gave me. Any help on ID'ing the wooden planes would be grately appreciated. Thanks.

OldHandPlanes.jpg

StanleySmoothPlane.jpg

StanleyRabbetandBlock.jpg

StanleyNo6Jack.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

hpetty

New User
Hugh
Looks like you've got those wooden planes all boxed up to ship to me. Let me send you my address. :rolf:

Seriously, what a great legacy your Dad has left you. Enjoy their use.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Your father left you with some nice tools. I am not one to identify what they are, all I know is that a lot of the woodie are moulding planes used to cut specific profiles. Hope you don't mind that I added pictures to your post...for the lazy ones.

Dave:)

Monty

New User
Monty
Looks like a coffin smoother on top of the box, another smooth plane and maybe a jack (?) size plane down in the box. The rest look like molding planes - varying profiles I'll bet. I'd really like to have a shoulder plane like that, and the No 6 is SW era or earlier.

Even if you didn't have any hand tools before, you have a really fantastic collection now! A very nice collection of usable tools there!!!

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Wow Anna, what a great collection of tools you inherited. They all look to be in good condition and with a little tuning I bet you will find them very enjoyable to use.

D L

fsdogwood

New User
Pinwu
Is that a hole at the end of that #6 plane?

Please take a look at the Patrick's B&G at
http://supertool.com for more details about them.

The Stanly #9x (92, 93?) should be very handy.

Sure all of them should be special to you. Congrats.

Monty

New User
Monty
fsdogwood said:
Yea, looks like a hangy hole. Does nothing to affect the function of the plane, but it REALLY kills the resale value... :-?

Sharp Blade

New User
Anna-Catherine
Yeah, there are some wild looking ones. I will need to clean them up a bit. I may do that tomorrow, while my chiseled finger heals.

Sharp Blade

New User
Anna-Catherine
hpetty said:
Looks like you've got those wooden planes all boxed up to ship to me. Let me send you my address. :rolf:

Seriously, what a great legacy your Dad has left you. Enjoy their use.

NOT! I will enjoy their use.

Sharp Blade

New User
Anna-Catherine
DaveO said:
Your father left you with some nice tools. I am not one to identify what they are, all I know is that a lot of the woodie are moulding planes used to cut specific profiles. Hope you don't mind that I added pictures to your post...for the lazy ones.

Dave, not a problem. Being new here, I wasn't sure about how much bandwidth I could use in each post.

Sharp Blade

New User
Anna-Catherine
insomniac said:
Looks like a coffin smoother on top of the box, another smooth plane and maybe a jack (?) size plane down in the box. The rest look like molding planes - varying profiles I'll bet. I'd really like to have a shoulder plane like that, and the No 6 is SW era or earlier.

Even if you didn't have any hand tools before, you have a really fantastic collection now! A very nice collection of usable tools there!!!

Yup, you're right. They are molding planes. Ogee and a few others, I think. I'll photograph each one for show and tell. I do think think the No 6 is an SW, I'll let you know tomorrow. I know at least one of the wooden planes is a cove contour.

Sharp Blade

New User
Anna-Catherine
D L Ames said:
Wow Anna, what a great collection of tools you inherited. They all look to be in good condition and with a little tuning I bet you will find them very enjoyable to use.

D L

Yeah, I think I will enjoy learning to use them correctly.

Sharp Blade

New User
Anna-Catherine
fsdogwood said:

Please take a look at the Patrick's B&G at
http://supertool.com for more details about them.

The Stanly #9x (92, 93?) should be very handy.

Sure all of them should be special to you. Congrats.

It's a Stanley #92. There is a hole in the no 5 and the No 6. I once asked my Dad about the holes, figuring they really were for hanging (he never hung them) and he told me he didn't know why they were there. he had bought them that way...and he bought them NEW. (Dad was using some of these planes when he was about 14, in 1934.)

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Sharp Blade said:
Dave, not a problem. Being new here, I wasn't sure about how much bandwidth I could use in each post.

As far as I know if you can put it into your picture album then you can post it all you want. Steve may have a different thought on this but I have never had any problems/complaints about posting my multi-pic threads. So post what ever you feel worthy, the worst thing that can happen is it might be denied.
I would love to see the rest of your collection when you get them cleaned up.

Sharp Blade

New User
Anna-Catherine
Since I have to take it easy (I had an epidural procedure done in my lower back this afternoon) I am going to clean these up and get pics of them for you all to envy, er...I mean enjoy! Yeah, that's what I meant!

cloudancer

New User
Greg Dake
Very nice stealth gloat...

Maybe we need a gloat section of the board so we have fair warning? :eusa_thin

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Wow!. Beautiful tools. I know you must be very proud to have such a collection from your Dad. I bet when you use the tools many fond memories of your Dad just flood your mind. It's great that you are keeping/using them and not doing as so many people do....just sell them off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors