Just joined

Status
Not open for further replies.

6_Myles

New User
Myles
and wanted to say hi. Just been searching through all the info and look forward to learning even more.

I'm an architect in Asheville and in the middle of building my house so I get to do all kinds of different woodworking, one day I'll get back to making furniture. So this place has been great for me to find a quick answer.

My project right now is trying to get my rough sawn walnut milled into to floors, currently at the kiln, so I'm sure I'll have all kinds of questions in the near future. See everyone around.

Myles

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Myles, welcome to NCWW! An architect building his own house, boy I bet you're a picky customer :) I don't think I've ever seen walnut floors, so please post some pictures after it comes out of the kiln.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Welcome aboard, Myles. Architect, eh? Great! Now we have someone we can throw our building questions to !!

Be sure to post somoe pics of the walnut when you get it milled.

:wsmile:

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Great to have you join us, Myles!!!:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc

I too would really like to see a finished walnut floor!!! Bet it will sure look pretty!

Let me quess. you like walnut furniture too, eh???

Hope you can get a chance to post some photos of your work!

Have fun here!

Wayne

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Great to have you with us Myles! Welcome to our merry band of woodworkers. :icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

6_Myles

New User
Myles
Thanks for the welcome. This will be my first walnut floor too so it's been a bit of a learning curve. So far I've found two finishes I'm thinking about: OSMO and Waterlox. Both are an "oil" finish and the OSMO coat is a low-VOC and a greener product.

I found a guy in Marshall that had about 4500bd/ft of 5/4 Select and #1. 6-8" width and 8-10' lengths @ $1/bf, so I bought the best 4k bf I could and off to BeeTree Hardwoods I went. I ended up getting 500 bf extra for some trim/casework around the house.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Welcome Myles, I am glad you found us. I would go with the Waterlox, it's an excellent floor finish and really looks good with Walnut.

Dave:)

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Welcome to the site Myles. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap Can't wait to see some of that flooring. :icon_thum

Cheers,

Trent

tinman

New User
x0x0x0x0
Miles,
I'm curious if the OSMO has any alumina oxide in it or not? I'm pretty sure that Waterlox does not. Most manufaturers of pre-finished hardwoods have gone to polyurethanes with alumina oxide in order to combat the increasing sales of laminate products and it has increased the durability of their floors finishes dramatically. I would recommend that you check into this finish and see if you can finish with it.

Regards,
Ken McGinnis

Bryan S

Bryan
Welcome to the site Myles. Gad you found us and like others before me have said we like pics here.

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
[PIE]Welcome to the best pile of sawdust on the net!!!![/PIE]

And you can't post pictures of your floor when it's done...if my wife see it's I'm in TROUBLE!!!:rotflm:

M

McRabbet

Welcome to the website, Myles -- I see you are from the mountains, too -- we have quite a few members from the area and some of us formed a group that meets regularly to share our love for woodworking -- perhaps you might want to come join us at our next meeting this Saturday in Fletcher where our speaker is a talented Windsor Chair maker, Jack Hastings. I'll send you some details about the meeting and the Western NC Woodworkers Association.

Welcome aboard and we'll look forward to more on you flooring project.

Barbara Gill

New User
Barbara
My project right now is trying to get my rough sawn walnut milled into to floors, currently at the kiln, so I'm sure I'll have all kinds of questions in the near future. See everyone around.

Myles

Will you be doing the t&g yourself? If so, try to find some knives that will undercut the bottom of the groove side a bit. It will make installation easier.

TracyB

New User
Tracy
and wanted to say hi. Just been searching through all the info and look forward to learning even more.

I'm an architect in Asheville and in the middle of building my house so I get to do all kinds of different woodworking, one day I'll get back to making furniture. So this place has been great for me to find a quick answer.

Myles

Hello Myles,
I'm new to the site as well. As you have already found, there are alot of nice folks on here. Can't wait to see the pics of the Walnut floors.
Good Luck.
TracyB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS