June 2015 - NCWW monthly contest - Joinery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Please show us your best - either entire projects or just the joints.

I am looking forward to seeing the entries as I am trying to improve my joinery skills

Thanks in advance for all entries

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
Well Phil this is what I am doing this week. Sliding lid boxes. It includes: dovetail joinery, raised panels, veneered bottom with edge trim and a mitered corner on the dovetails to allow the addition of a piece on the lid to close the top and appear in balance. The mitered joinery takes a little practice but having a sample to look at as you work speeds things along. I have done the basic joinery on 8 boxes and I have 7 more to go.

You can look at the process in my gallery under Moravian Boxes if you have more curiosity.

Here are some photos of the last few days of progress:
joinery_box_build_025.JPG

joinery_box_build_022.JPG

joinery_box_build_044.JPG

joinery_box_build_036.JPG

DSC079911.JPG

joinery_box_build_039.JPG

joinery_box_build_037.JPG

As you can tell, I am a pins first joiner. I move along on these things as they are really a series of drawers with some fancy corners for show. If there are members in the Raleigh/Durham area who might like to come by and see the work in progress I am in the shop during the week for the next 10 days or so. My wife ends the school year next week and chores, grandchildren and travel come into the schedule.

Hope this is what you are looking for here. Again, more photos in the folder in my gallery. Thanks for looking.

SubGuy

Administrator
Zach
This one is slightly old for me:

IMG_20130405_230109.jpg

IMAG1034.jpg

IMG_20130513_090357.jpg

IMG_20130405_173115.jpg

The final table is three pieces. The two base pieces fit together with friction and can be easily taken apart without tools or fasteners. The top is also held on by friction. The top is also not veneer, all solid wood 3/4" thick with a 3/4 ply backer for stability and added strength. It's been going strong for 2.5 years now so I am happy with the design. Also, the leg joinery is a open saddle tenon and mortise (what I call it) but it looks similar to an oblique bridal joint.
IMG_20130405_161927.jpg

As shown above...

bluthart

New User
Brian
OK, here are some photos of a draw bore technique I used for my workbench, offsetting the holes for pegs to pull the tenon tight into the mortise. This was a first for me and worked great!
Drawbore1.jpg

Drawbore2.jpg
Drawbore3.jpg

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Belt, suspenders, and elastic waistband! That's the best way to describe this joint. It is neither pretty nor complex, but it is extremely strong and a good choice for a table that is expected to see a lot of use for many years.

This is the SketchUp image from the plans I drew.

Open joint.png

The assembled joint w/ two 1/4" pegs added to each tenon.

IMG_0981.jpg

Corner brace attached to the leg w/ hanger bolts, then screwed into each stretcher.

IMG_0979.jpg

Tenons are 3/4" thick, 2 3/8" long, and 3 1/4" high, mitered at the ends. Leg is 3 x 3". All 4 stretchers are QSWO, 1" x 4".

IMG_0952.jpg

As far as the monthly contest goes, I don't think this joint can compete w/ some of the beautiful work shown in the previous post. My main reason for including it is to show ways to reinforce a joint for heavy use.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
The whole thing is Mortise and Tenon - only screws are for the Figure 8 fasteners for the top and a screw to hold on the drawer knobs.

I'm particularly proud of the through tenon on the bottom shelf of the Coffee Table.

2014-10-13_10_56_17_800x532_.jpg

2014-09-01_16_16_42_800x532_.jpg

2014-10-24_16_37_48_800x532_.jpg

Craftsman style Coffee Table to match the couch. QSWO.

Last edited:

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Closing the entries for the June contest and creating the voting poll. Look for it in the next few minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS