July 2015 - NCWW Monthly contest - Hand tool project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
The first two weeks of July were way too busy and this announcement kept getting pushed back - well actually forgotten, but here it is:

Let us see all those projects you folks have been making with hand tools only

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Wow, that's a hard one. I used hand tools almost exclusively when I made the Jewelry Boxes a while back, but I used a Band Saw to re-saw the sides to get the 4-corner grain match. So that wouldn't qualify. i'll have to think hard about what else I can enter. Even the carving of the grape cluster, I used a scroll saw to cut the outline. Thinking hard.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
Mike builds with hand tools, doesn't he? I sure don't! Maybe if I take a stick and plane it??...:wsmile:

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
The first two weeks of July were way too busy and this announcement kept getting pushed back - well actually forgotten, but here it is:

Let us see all those projects you folks have been making with hand tools only

You mean made 100% with hand tools? No electricity at all - like Amish made stuff or what? What about stuff made with purchased or sawmill lumber? Most lumber processing equipment are power tools. Do you mean tree fallen with a axe and processed entirely of hand tools (like from standing tree to finished product) ?

"the internet is not a luxury, it's a necessity." Barack Hussein Obama II - 15 July 2015

Last edited:

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
That is a good question. Kind of like "what constitutes a home made pie?". Some say you have to bake it yourself. Others say it doesn't count if you buy the crust. Do you have to pick the apples yourself? Do you have to plant the apple tree yourself too? Do you have to grow the wheat for the flour? It goes on and on.

One of my favorite quotes. (I have no idea where it came from)

Question: What is the first step in making a home made apple pie?
Answer: Create the universe.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
You mean made 100% with hand tools? No electricity at all - like Amish made stuff or what? What about stuff made with purchased or sawmill lumber? Most lumber processing equipment are power tools. Do you mean tree fallen with a axe and processed entirely of hand tools (like from standing tree to finished product) ?

"the internet is not a luxury, it's a necessity." Barack Hussein Obama II - 15 July 2015

Everybody gets some leeway here. Lets say your just getting started with some of grandpas tools. So you go buy some S4 lumber and then use your "new" hand tools to create the project - that works for me. Then again if you are like me and think a circular saw and a trim router are hand tools - that will not count

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Everybody gets some leeway here. Lets say your just getting started with some of grandpas tools. So you go buy some S4 lumber and then use your "new" hand tools to create the project - that works for me. Then again if you are like me and think a circular saw and a trim router are hand tools - that will not count
OK so these were made with hard maple sawmill scraps. I cut the maple tree down with a chainsaw, loaded on my trailer with my bobcat, pulled it home with my pickup truck, loaded it on my sawmill and made boards out of the log. I found some scraps that fell on the ground under the sawmill and said I'll carve something out of those scraps.

During the dead of winter I sat on the porch next to the wood stove and carved these with my hunting knives, a few chisels and an assortment of razor blades. So does something like this count as made with hand tools?

attachment.php

attachment.php

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
If you read a lot of 19th century wood working books they almost always say get your stuff from the mill cut and planed to rough size. Stuff is what they called the wood lumber ready to make a project.

Since I am a hybrid wood worker, I have not made anything completely with hand tools only. I use power tools for the heavy work like ripping stock, planing rough stock, drilling multiple holes, etc. However, I use hand tools to fit joints, finish the surface of boards, and saw dovetails.

Since we have a few weeks to submit I will try to complete a small project without power tools. It will be a challenge.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
If you read a lot of 19th century wood working books they almost always say get your stuff from the mill cut and planed to rough size. Stuff is what they called the wood lumber ready to make a project.

Since I am a hybrid wood worker, I have not made anything completely with hand tools only. I use power tools for the heavy work like ripping stock, planing rough stock, drilling multiple holes, etc. However, I use hand tools to fit joints, finish the surface of boards, and saw dovetails.

Since we have a few weeks to submit I will try to complete a small project without power tools. It will be a challenge.
Mike I'm thinking about you being the spoon master and all... You should have no problems making a carved spoon without any power tools.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I'd like to do something bigger.

Can't discuss my current project, but when that is done I'll have some time.

Steve_Honeycutt

Chat Administartor
Steve
This rose and leaves were made from shavings from my hand plane. The wood is basswood and it was stained with very thin acrylic paints. I used a sharpie for the leaf veins.

Rose2.jpg

Steve​

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
This rose and leaves were made from shavings from my hand plane. The wood is basswood and it was stained with very thin acrylic paints. I used a sharpie for the leaf veins.

Rose2.jpg

Steve​

Perfect I have been trying to figure out haw to do this for some time. Your rose is perfect. Could this be demoed at the Klingspor show - Please ??

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Wow Steve that rose is awesomeness. I'm curious who the stem and leaves are attached if you don't mind sharing.

Steve_Honeycutt

Chat Administartor
Steve
Wow Steve that rose is awesomeness. I'm curious who the stem and leaves are attached if you don't mind sharing.

The stems are different gauges of wire and they are attached with CA glue. I attach the small stems to the main stem by wrapping with thread and then gluing. The flower is attached to the stem by making a hole just big enough for the main stem and then gluing. The stems are then wrapped with floral tape to hide the wires.

Steve

Steve_Honeycutt

Chat Administartor
Steve
Perfect I have been trying to figure out haw to do this for some time. Your rose is perfect. Could this be demoed at the Klingspor show - Please ??

Phil,

If I get to attend the Klingspor show, I will be happy to demonstrate the technique. I won't know until we get closer to the event.

Steve

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
C72.JPG

Here's a patchbox inlet hand tooling only. Stock shaped with rasp and files

oiled_9_1.JPG

oiled_2_1.JPG

bn31.JPG

All hand done except-- fur burned in with soldering tip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS