Jonah and the Whale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay

New User
Jay
I got a chance to get back in the workshop and this is what I have been working on. It took a while because I am a beginner and it was small enough that I would cut to wide and saw through something I wasn't supposed to or break off the tail while finishing or something. Anyway I finally got a couple done without a catastrophe and thought I would take a picture before I broke them. Thanks for looking and I welcome any helps, hints, or constructive criticism.

Picture_0081.jpg

Thanks again

Jay

Jay

New User
Jay
I got it out of one of the Scroll Saw Workshop magazines. When I saw it I decided I would have to give it a try.

cskipper

Cathy
Jay, that looks great! I've never tried a puzzle - are there any particular challenges that are unique for a puzzle?

b4man

New User
Barbara
I love that puzzle, you did a great job on it. It looks like pine (?) I wonder if you used a harder wood if the breakage would be reduced? Also, if it were larger it might be less fragile?

Jay

New User
Jay
Cathy

The only thing about the puzzle with compound cuts that is different was that you have to make sure that you make the cuts in the proper progression. If you get out of order you may end up trying to glue something back together that wasn't supposed to get cut. Other than that it is just following your basic rules. With it being so small it was a little more difficult because you don't have much margin for error. A more experienced scroll sawer such as yourself probably wouldn't even notice this much however. It was actually a fun project to try to get right.

Barbara

As far as the wood it is actually red oak. I am not sure where that rates on the hardness scale for hardwood but I am pretty sure a lot of the breakage comes from me not being careful enough and being too heavy handed. I usually do really well until I just about have it finished and then relax a little and then CRACK!!!!!! Followed by I knew it I knew I'd end up breaking it again! LOL!!!

Thanks for all your comments

Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS