Jointer; what do I really need

Status
Not open for further replies.

b4man

New User
Barbara
I really want a jointer. I went to Woodcraft and ck'd out their models. I really need a benchtop 'cause I just don't have the floor space. The Delta benchtop wasn't in stock and they don't carry any other. If I buy before the 28th there is a 10% discount making it 196.00. I'm not too cd about buying anything I can't see and touch so I went to Lowes to see if they had one and they didn't.
I searched online for other brands but I realized I need a recommendation. Please give me some input.
Barbara

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Wow, that is an interesting question. My Lowe's generally has the Delta 4" bench model in stock. There is at least 4 Lowe's within 30 minutes of me, so I would check to see if other ones have it in stock. I can't give you any recommendation on 4" jointers, having just upgraded from an old Shopsmith 4" to a new Rigid 6". But what I can recommend is that if you can find a little floor space you would do much better with a 6" over a 4" jointer, and the Rigid is only about $100 more than what you mentioned. Grizzly has a fine selection of jointers, and IIRC they do have some bench models, but you can't touch or see them before purchasing, so that is probably out of question. Like a TS, buy the biggest and best you can afford, and you won't be kicking yourself later when you wished you had something bigger or better. Sorry, I ain't much help, I feel a slight case of "Woodguy disease" coming on:lol: Dave:)

b4man

New User
Barbara
Dave,

You helped! Where did you get the Rigid? Let's say I get one on an open base. I agree about the size, I didn't realize the Delta was a 4 so I wont be buying that one. You guys seem to know the best tools for the money so I'll go with what you suggest.

Monty

New User
Monty
I don't want to pile on making you feel like you have to buy a floor model jointer. You have determined that you don't have the space for it -- good enough. Just be sure that the limitations of the benchtop models are acceptable to you. Realistically, the benchtop models that I am aware of are all limited to jointing short stock - probably about 2-3 feet long or so. But if that's all you plan to do in the short term, you should be just fine. If you plan to build a bigger project, though, don't expect the little benchtop jointer to be satisfactory for that job.

I don't have first-hand experience with benchtop jointers, other than to say I have looked at them in the stores early on and decided they weren't for me. If you expect the benchtop to be a stepping stone for you, and eventually expect to buy a bigger jointer, then spend as little as you have to on the benchtop. Lowe's has a Tradesman benchtop jointer on clearance right now for $98. I'd go for that one. If you intend to use this tool long-term, you need to try to get the best quality possible - maybe someone around here knows of a review article on these...?

Edit: - you replied before I finished my post above... if you will consider a floor-model jointer, then DON'T buy a benchtop!!!! :mrgreen:

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
I was going to add my $.02 in on the length of stock limitations but Insom beat me to it. So in that case............what he said!

D L

b4man

New User
Barbara
It's been my experience that every time I "settle" I regret. So, let's just forget what I said about a benchtop. Two opinions are good enough for me and thanks to you both. Now that we have determined that, what should I buy? I have always used the TS to true up an edge. Not too satisfactory. Let's say that I want to work with stock that is 4' long. I think I want one that will rabbet but maybe not. I am willing to spend up to 400.00. Not that I really want to. so now what?

stoneskippers

New User
John Skipper
I don't have any experience with a bench top jointer, but I got a Ridgid floor model about 4 years ago. It has performed great and very sturdy and could not have gotten a better jointer at that price. IMHO;-)

b4man

New User
Barbara
Just went to HD site and ckd out the Rigid jointer. The price is within my budget and it looks decent enough, unless someone disputes I think I'll buy it.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I read in one the ww'ing mags that most 6" jointers are pretty much the same. The principle is very basic, and as long as the machine is by a reputable company then it's a good buy. I debated over getting the Griz 6" and the Rigid 6", their specs were almost identical, one inch longer bed, a few pound heavier, nothing to really make my decision for me. So it came down to, did I want to wait to get a Griz shipped and deal with the freight terminal pick-up or did I want to go that afternoon and buy the Rigid at the Home Depot just down the street. I went for the immediate gratification. (I had just won $500 in a radio contest and it was burning a hole in my pocket) Also, Rigid tools are supposed to come with a lifetime warranty, mine or the tools I am not sure. Dave:)

b4man

New User
Barbara
I agree with instant gratification! Thanks to all that responded. I'm so glad I asked and you guys are here for me to ask!

Phillip

New User
Phillip Fuentes
when i first started working i didn't have space for a floor model either. i was lucky enough to find a ryobi 6" bench jointer, i still have it and its as accurate as my powermatic. you should go have a look at the rigid, the open base jointers take up more floor space than cabinet base models, that may be a problem. i agree with buying the biggest you possibly can, but i did a lot of work with my bench jointer before i got a floor model. by the way, the delta is a 6", and it has a tall fence which is helpful. good luck

phillip

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
I have no experience with Rigid's jointer but I have had Rigid's 15" drill press for about 7-8 years now and I have been very pleased with it's performance. Some of the other Rigid tools I seen at HD look to be very well made.

D L

gator

George
Corporate Member
b4man said:
I think I want one that will rabbet but maybe not.

Most all 6" and larger jointers have the rabbiting ledge. I tried rabbiting once on a jointer and gave it up as a lost cause. You have to take the knife guard off the machine, get the fence situated, adjust the infeed table several times to get the full depth of the rabbit (you take a few light cuts, not one big one), then when you've got your rabbit, you have to readjust the infeed table to your normal operating depth, move the fence back and reattach the knife guard. I find it much easier to use the router for one or two rabbits or if I have a lot to do I use the tablesw with a dado blade and sacrificial fence.

George

sapwood

New User
Roger
b4man,

I'm certainly not qualified to give advice on jointers :eusa_hand
However, I can provide information. Harbor Freight carries this. It's on sale now and I've read it can be a little tricky to get fence setup accurately, but once done it's a fine 6" jointer for the money ($219).

Hopefully, someone else will chime in that has more knowledge than I :roll:

Sapwood

Ryan

New User
Ryan Sellers
I can also easily recommend the Ridgid, I've had mine for several years, and it has never given me a problem. As far as the open stand taking up more space, in a way it does, but it does not extend past the infeed or outfeed tables, so you won't really use that space anyways(I don't know if that made any sense or not!). I also think it makes the machine more stable. As far as the lifetime warranty goes, I had to take my Ridgid planer in once because it dug into a board that had a steep rise in the middle of it, which caused a drive gear to snap. They had the part replaced and the machine back in the truck in about 20 minutes, and of course it was free! I hope some part of this rambling helped!.

TominZebulon

New User
Tom Meehan
B4, I got the 6" Griz last year for Christmas and I could not be happier! It took me about an hour to get it assembled and have not adjusted anything since. It is a very nice machine that I am pretty sure comes to the door right at $400. Check their website to be sure. And with my .02 thrown in, I think we are up to a dime :) !

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
I've been looking at the Rigid too but I don't know if that Orange will clash with all the green in my Shop!! I was hoping to see it on sale pretty soon also .:eusa_thin

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
golfdad said:
I've been looking at the Rigid too but I don't know if that Orange will clash with all the green in my Shop!! I was hoping to see it on sale pretty soon also .:eusa_thin

Golfdad, I think I saw a sale on cans of "Grizzly Green" spray paint at Wal-Mart this weekend if that will help.:lol:

D L

b4man

New User
Barbara
Merry Christmas to me! I figured if you guys were good enough to advise me I should let you know that I bought the Rigid jointer from Home Depot. I got it in Huntersville while at the lake yesterday. I asked if they were going to be on sale or offering a discount anytime soon and the salesman assured me that if it did I could come back and get the refund.Within a month. So, I've apparently come down with the dread "Woodguy" disease myself. And I thought this was a safe place to be!

Now, to get the 285lb jointer set up. Thank goodness for my Father! I spent today rewiring to 240v and putting together the base but had to stop when it came time to mount the monster. Thats when I called my Dad! If my back is not totally screwed I hope to be up and running tomorrow.
Thanks again
Barbara

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Excellent, you will enjoy that jointer. I run mine at 120v, I would be interested of your impression of it at 240v. I have the circuits to hook it up, my TS is 240v but I am lazy, if you are blown away by it's performance, I might consider getting of my duff and running another 240v line.

Hey Golfdad, don't you know that the 70's are makng a comeback and orange and green are gonna be really hot. You could start the trend rolling:lol:
Dave:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS