Jointer Question

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
More a survey I guess --- How much downward pressure do you put on a piece of wood running though a Jointer?

I figure we use somewhere around 20 - 30 lb downward pressure depending on the type of wood, appreciate any feedback or comments.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
More a survey I guess --- How much downward pressure do you put on a piece of wood running though a Jointer?

I figure we use somewhere around 20 - 30 lb downward pressure depending on the type of wood, appreciate any feedback or comments.
depends on when the last waxing occurred.... :D . you are prolly close, maybe a little less.

• Thanks
Reactions: Oka

AllanD

Allan
Corporate Member
Almost no pressure until the board gets past the blades then I press on the board on the outfeed table just enough to keep the board in solid contact with the table. If on the first pass there is still a concavity in the center for instance, pushing too hard might artificially flatten the concavity if that makes sense. I think in my hands it is a good bit less than 20 lbs.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Face or edge jointing? in theory, you shouldnt apply any pressure to either operation. Adding pressure, especially face jointing could deform the board causing an irregular face when the piece is at rest, and you would never get it flat. I typically try to simply allow the piece to rest on the infeed table and push it through from the trailing edge. edge jointing on the other hand isnt as prone to deformation as face jointing unless youre doing narrow boards or soft woods and then the same rules apply as face jointing for me.

• Thanks
Reactions: Oka

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS