Jointer Motor - Repair or Replace?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rick7938

New User
Rick
I have an old Craftsman 6" jointer with 1/2-hp motor from the 60's. One of the shaft bearings in the motor has developed a rattle. Can these bearings be replaced at a reasonable price or is it better to just buy a good used or new motor? Any suggestions on sources for good used motors?

Thanks for any feedback.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I love the old motors, so I am biased; I would think about having it fixed.

A trick that usually extends older bearings a while - drill a very small hole in the outer casing. If possible, make the hole at what will be the top (as compared to the floor, surface of the earth, gravity and all that). Squeeze in some graphite ("door ease" I think, is a common brand you can find in small tubes quite cheap). Seal the hole with whatever method you prefer - solder, caulk or some really sticky grey/silver tape that can fix almost anything. This often buys you some serious time (years). But if the balls in the bearing are too far from round (run without adequate lubrication too long) you will need a replacement soon.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
I've replaced many motor bearings. Replace both ends while you're at it and the bearings are surprisingly cheap. Set the motor on your bench. Scratch marks on the bell housing and motor housing so you can put it back the way it was. One mark on one end, two marks on the other. Leave the long bolts in the bell housing, to remind you of their orientation.
With the bearings in hand you should have no trouble finding replacements.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS