Jointer Basic Training

Status
Not open for further replies.

rick7938

New User
Rick
Yesterday, I finished refurbishing an old 6" Craftsman jointer that I inherited from my Dad. It has a 36" cast iron bed and fence and seems to run OK after I built a stand and installed a motor and new blades.

I need some advice on properly using my new old jointer. I have never used one before so any advice will be very helpful. I have many questions such as:

1. What is the proper way to feed wood into the cutters while edge jointing? Where should my hand pressure be as the wood feeds into and out of the cutters?

2. What is the proper way to feed wood into the cutters to plane wood on the wide sides?

3. What is the shortest length of wood that I should try to joint?

4. Do most of you edge joint your wood before or after rough cutting to length?

5. What is the best way, even if the most time consuming way, to adjust planer blades without using the expensive jigs?

Any other advice will be greatly appreciated.

M

McRabbet

Rick,

First, be sure that the outfeed and infeed tables are perfectly parallel to one another -- the easiest way to check this is with a good quality straightedge with the two tables set to the same height and set above the knives. There should be no gaps.
Second, be certain to adjust the outfeed table to be at or just a few thousandths above the knives and that the knives are parallel to the table across the bed (see this thread and this one).
Third, never take more than a 1/32" cut (adjust the infeed table only), even if it means more passes. I always flatten (join) a face first, selecting a board that is not cupped or bowed (see this link for terms (Crooked boards are dealt with on their edges). Always join boards with the grain descending away from the cutter knives to avoid chip out. Here is a good thread that describes proper pressure and feeding technique. This should answer your questions 1 and 2. After facing a rough board, run it through a planer to get the other side parallel to the joined face.
For edge joining, be sure the fence is perpendicular to the tables. After you select boards for a panel glue-up, mark the selected face with a chalk triangle over all joints. Then alternate front and back faces against the fence to insure the two joined edges will result in a flat glue joint.
Length? If a board is crooked over a full length (say 6-8') and I only need lengths about 3', I cross cut to minimize the amount of crook in the edge. I never try to join boards under 12" (safety thing).
To square stock, see this thread. The cheapest tool I've found to set knives is a dial indicator -- you can get a decent one at Harbor Freight or Grizzly. You can also get a setup tool like this for pretty cheap if you prefer.

Hope this helps.

Rob

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Wow Rob, great response for answering Rick's questions. I save about six of those informative links to my favorites.

D L

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
I would like to thank you too Rob! I haven't managed to save enuff for a jointer (or a planer) just yet.:crybaby2: But, like D.L. I went ahead and added the links that you provided for future reference. (Not too distant future, I hope!)

Thanks Again,

Wayne

rick7938

New User
Rick
Thanks so much for all of the information. I will digest as much as I can and let you know how it goes.

Again, many thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS