Joining wood

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
So I just moved and haven't had time to set up shop yet, let alone tune up the machine from after the move.

But my neighbor and his wife from across the road has been so awesome to us helping where they see we need help. The conversation went like this, so Jeff, rumor has it your quite the wood worker. I said I don't know about all that John. Well who built that guitar right there? I did John. He said when you get time, could you come by and have a look at some walnut, I would like to have glued together. Yep I'll do that.

So here I am with 5 wide pieces of 4/4-8' walnut. Thankfully my planner worked fine and I was able to face plan but my table saw didn't fair so we'll nor did my jointer, both need to be squared back up and most all my stuff is in boxes or buckets scattered about the barn somewhere. Then I thought... But I do have a skill saw... What if??? Well either God was guiding my cuts or I'm extremely lucky, I can't figure out which.

Now I'm left scratching my head, asking myself why do I need all these heavy machines to do woodworking, when I can edge join with a skill saw, with length of 2x4 a few clamps, checked ends and all?

I was totally shocked when I lined these boards up. The edges we're perfectly cut and all it took was using my self centering dowling jig, some 3/8 dowles and a hand drill. The boards slid together as good, if not better than any joints I ever done before and glue squeeze out was right on par for a good strong joint.

Please remind me why I need a jointer again?

IMG_20201108_225104958.jpg

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Play the Lottery .... :p You can do a lot with decent hand tools it is just way slower and you need to keep steady. As long as it doesn't curl on you you got a good start.

bbrown

Bill
User
Valid point - we can get by with much less than we think. And hand tools are not necessarily slower. In many cases picking up a scratch bead or hand plane gets the job done quicker than setting up a machine. Quieter and safer in most cases also.
The issue with most folks is intimidation re. the learning curve which is not nearly so difficult as we often imagine.

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
I have never had “success” jointing long pieces on my jointer. Mainly skill level but also the bed is just too short.
i have had better luck with pieces over 5’ long using a flush trim router but and a piece of lowes MDF using the factory cut as a straight edge

BKHam

Bradley
User
i wouldnt' give up my 8 inch powermatic model 60 with the retrofit helical head for anything. The jointer allows me to more quickly get to parts of woodworking i like more. to each their own.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Well, the jointer does more than joint edges - but I think you knew that already. With my circular saw, I'd get saw marks on the edges. No good.

Tell us what's the plan for the glueup, checked lumber and all?

-Mark

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Well, the jointer does more than joint edges - but I think you knew that already. With my circular saw, I'd get saw marks on the edges. No good.

Tell us what's the plan for the glueup, checked lumber and all?

-Mark

It's going a county restaurant check out counter. it will set on top of two whiskey barrels. I'm filling in the checks with exopy and sawdust maybe a little CA here and there... Finish will be beeswax and mineral oil.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I have never had “success” jointing long pieces on my jointer. Mainly skill level but also the bed is just too short.
i have had better luck with pieces over 5’ long using a flush trim router but and a piece of lowes MDF using the factory cut as a straight edge

That's a really good idea! I'm going to keep that one in my back pocket.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
It turned out great Jeff, you need that jointer out of convenience. And, it’ll keep your knuckles from dragging the floor.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
That turned out pretty good. It may be in a country restaurant but it looks like an office desk in the picture setting surrounding it.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS