Joinery choices

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Curious again. :eek: How about building a screen door and what type of joinery would you use?

Nominally 1" thick and the joints could be doweled to prevent racking/sagging.

The classic mortise & tenon.

M_T.jpg

A bridle joint with lots of glue surface area.

Bridle_joint.jpg

And a half-lap joint also with lots of glue surface area.

Half-lap.jpg

frankc4113

Frank C
Corporate Member
My preference would be a good fitting mortise and tenon, possibly doweled through but not necessary.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
For me, first choice would be a haunched deep tenon M&T for the top and bottom rails, and a standard M&T for any center rail. I think this would provide better weather protection for the joint/glue surfaces by exposing minimum end grain and mating edges. Draw-bored pins would not hurt.

Second choice would be pinned bridal joints for top and bottom, with attention to good sealing of the joint area. This would give maximum glue surface area.

I have never seen a half-lap joint stand up to the cross joint stresses that a door incurs, particularly on the hinge-side stile, although it might survive if you use a resorcinol glue.

JMTCW

Go

Last edited:

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
The oldest doors I have seen that still hold up well are through mortice, draw bored and wedged.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
My opinion - assuming QS frame members are used. Pinned bridal top and bottom / pinned M&T for the rest...

A good fitting glued pinned bridal is strong strong strong :) due to the tremendous amount of glue area.

Go with 5/4 QSWO Heart it will out last you.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Either Mike or Jeff's solutions sound sound to me. Draw boring either is certainly belt and suspenders along with waterproof glue. Tightbond II or III.

If you can figure out a way to make the interior panels removable so they can have glass in Winter / screen in Summer, that would be useful. Maybe panels that slide into a rabbit with retaining clips or molding? Clips/Molding on the inside of door to prevent tampering.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
My great uncle used to change doors every Spring and Fall. Would be nice to just add the storm panels.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
If you can figure out a way to make the interior panels removable so they can have glass in Winter / screen in Summer, that would be useful. Maybe panels that slide into a rabbit with retaining clips or molding? Clips/Molding on the inside of door to prevent tampering.

I like that idea. Swivel clips of some sort for an easy change out from glass to screens. There are a bunch of offerings that may work.

http://www.swisco.com/cl/Replacement-Plastic-Clips-For-Screen_Storm-Panel

http://www.allaboutdoors.com/product_info.php?products_id=306400

http://www.rockler.com/glass-door-retainer-clips-kit

Jeff

New User
Jeff
A good discussion from several perspectives.

Joinery choices continued... through M&T or bridle joints? The glue surface areas aren't too different and the joints would be pinned in either case.

M_T1.jpg

Bridle_joint1.jpg

cpowell

Chuck
Senior User
The tenon looks too wide on the through M&T. Would prefer larger shoulders, preferably haunched tenon.

It is more work to make a through M&T look good at the "through" end. So I prefer closed M&T.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS