John White is Coming!

Status
Not open for further replies.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
John White, former manager of FWW's workshop, and noted author of many articles in FWW, in addition to his book "Care and Repair of Shop Machines," will be featured speaker at this months Triangle Woodworker's meeting. The meeting will be this Friday (April 15th) at Klingspor's on Capital Blvd. Meeting time is 7:00 PM. Please feel free to join us and hear John speak. As this is most likely going to be a SRO (standing room only) meeting, you may want to bring a folding chair.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Man I wish I could come! Can you see if he would allow you to video his presentation or at least post a copy of his handouts here?

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Man I wish I could come! Can you see if he would allow you to video his presentation or at least post a copy of his handouts here?
We do video presentations for use by "members." I don't know about use by non members though, but probably not, as membership dues & fees pay for these. It's one of the benefits of membership.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
BUMP....

Folks is a totally free opportunity. Great way to spend a Friday evening. Most TWA members are friendly :wsmile:

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Mark,

His book is great! Look at the details here.

bobby g

Thanks Bobby,
I couldn't agree more! I've had it since it was published and it's my reference in the shop. If everyone built his Masterbar Set the Earth would be a flatter place:rotflm:That's why I thought it would be good to spread the wealth to the underserved parts of this 558 mile wide state. I can see Bruce's point about the club paying to bring him in, etc so no problem there. I was just so excited when i saw Bruce's post and realized it was an open meeting but couldn't make it that I thought I would at least ask.

Since the NCWW is an educational service, maybe we could look at adding something along these lines (ie:webcast/podcast, etc from experts) for our membership. We have a huge resource already within our membership and as popular as the state is with Master Craftspeople it wouldn't be a difficult thing to snag them when they come for other events. We definitely have the audience, the expertise to produce these and could generate revenue to support it. It would be nice to coordinate with one of the local clubs/Guilds to defray the cost for everyone but that may be a stretch.

manfre

New User
Manfre
Since the NCWW is an educational service, maybe we could look at adding something along these lines (ie:webcast/podcast, etc from experts) for our membership.

That would be awesome!

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Why not contact TWA and get a discussion going?

bobby g

I think that may be putting the cart before the horse as this is something that needs to be discussed and decided on by the execs within NCWW. I know we have members (maybe even NCWW Execs?) who are also members of the TWA, Charlotte Guild and McRabbet is involved with the WNCWW group so the potential is there.

After thinking a little, I think we should develop this first within our own talent pool. I can think of a number of NCWW members who I would like to see produce a 10-15 minute "How To" video/Powerpoint presentation and have a chance to have a live Web-Ex type discussion with them on the skill/process/technique. I would pay for it too. $4/gallon gas is coming back and a tank of gas for a free class is an investment.

Allan Campbell

New User
Allan
For those of you who are not members of TWA, you are welcome to attend as guests on Friday. You are also welcome to join TWA for a mere $35 per year.(We ask that you attend as a guest no more than twice without joining.)

The benefits of TWA include presenations every month, including approximately 5 - 6 each year by nationally or regionally known experts. The remainder of this year's programs include Glen Huey, Dexter Adams, Jay Speetjens, Chris Gouchnour and Beth Woody. We have about 5 - 6 one or two day (usually) workshops each year presented by these experts at very reasonable costs. By reasonable, I mean less than you might spend in gas to see them elsewhere (we commonly charge $70 for 2 days). Non-members can attend workshops on a space available basis for 2 times the member cost.

So, why don't you come this Friday, join the TWA ($35 dues will be pro-rated to $17.50, covering you until renewal in August), and sign up for the workshop this Saturday and Sunday from 9-4? There is still some space available in the workshop so, if you join the total cost would be $70 (workshop fee) + $17.50 (pro-rated dues) = $87.50. You could also sign up for just the workshop, but that would cost $140 (twice the member price).

This is a deal you folks in the Raleigh area should not pass up. Not only is it a good deal financially (downright cheap for what you get), the group is a fun bunch.

Allan Campbell,
President TWA

M

McRabbet

I am in the Triangle area and I am definetly planning to attend this meeting as a guest Friday evening and I am looking forward to seeing lots of folks I already know through this website/organization. I plan to go to Buffalo Wild Wings (I think that is the name of the place) first to see if any other members are there for some chow before the meeting.

To add: I am strongly in favor of making video presentations, but admit it is not an easy task to execute and is even tougher to set up for proper lighting, sound and then to edit for good content. This last year, the WNCWA (Western NC Woodworkers Association) did start making digital videos of some of our presentations, but that process is in its infancy and we're not ready for anything formal.

Looking forward to seeing fellow NCWW'ers on Friday.

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
Several of us TWA members will be at Buffalo Brothers for supper at around 6. Buffalo Brothers is in the same shopping center as Klingspor. We look forward to meeting Rob and other guests.

bobby g

manfre

New User
Manfre
Sounds like a good deal. Wish I had the free time to go to either the meeting or the workshops (I could certainly use the education).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS