Jim Byrnes Thickness Sander - Review

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
When building a harpsichord, there are a few parts that must be fabricated within a couple of thousandths of an inch for them to work properly. The harpsichord's jack, which ultimately holds the plectrum that actually plucks the string, is one of those parts. The actual dimension is less important than the consistency of dimensions in all of the up to 183 jacks per instrument. Achieving this consistency has always been a problem. There are two ways to approach this problem. The first is the use of a hand plane and some shop built jigs. The second is the use of a drum sander. As my skills with a hand plane are not up to the task, I've chosen to go with the drum sander. My drum sander, a Jet 10/20, can do the job but not without a lot of frustration, trial and error, and just plain luck.

A couple of months ago, one of the readers of my book, The Harpsichord Project, suggested I try the Jim Byrnes Model Machines thickness sander. He claimed unparalleled accuracy and repeatability from part to part. So I went to the Model Machines website and, lo and behold, the same claims were made. Despite its cost of $350.00, and despite my wariness of exaggerated manufacturer's claims that we've all been subjected to, I decided to bite the bullet and order one.

First Impressions: This machine is tiny - 10" x 9" x 13" tall but weighs an impressive 24 lbs. You're not going to sand a dining room table on it, but keep in mind its intended function - to allow model makers to make small, accurately sized parts. It has a 6" drum which accepts 6" wide sandpaper or two separate 3" wide papers which can have different grits. There is a 6" wide, dovetailed groove cut into the aluminum drum. The paper is wrapped around the drum and is held firmly in the groove by a 6" wide aluminum wedge that is fastened to the drum by four socket head screws. You can also use two 3" wide wedges to mount two different grits of paper onto the drum. Wood is fed into the machine manually - there is no motorized conveyor belt. The wood enters the machine on an aluminum plate which is hinged at the front. The rear of the plate moves up or down to achieve the desired thickness (more on that later). Here's the machine.
sander1.png

index.php

Testing Procedure: I decided to make a set of 28 jacks, run them through the machine, and measure the thickness and widths of the parts after sanding. The intended specs for the jacks are: 7" long (done on the tablesaw), .150" thick (+- .003"), .500" wide (+- .004"). After cutting the jacks to length on the tablesaw, I used my Jet 10/20 to get the thickness down to about .160". Back on the tablesaw, I ripped the jacks to about .510" in width. I installed a single 6" wide sandpaper onto the Model Machine's drum and I was ready to begin testing. The wood I used for the jacks is Cherry.

First, I tackled the jack thickness. The Jet had left them all with slightly different thicknesses so I set the machine to take off only a small, safe amount. How is this done? Here's a photo of the height adjustment.

sander2.jpg

On the rear end of the infeed table there is an adjustment wheel with vertical lines on it. Turning the wheel from line to line raises or lowers the table .002". Since the table is hinged at its front end, only the rear end raises or lowers. The higher it's raised, the closer the table is to the sanding drum.

I ran each jack through the machine 3 times - each time raising the table .002". I continued until the first jack of a run measured the desired .150", I ran each jack through the machine at that setting.

Next, I tackled the width of the jacks. Since they were too narrow to run through the planer one at a time, I ganged up four at a time and held them together on edge with my fingers. I then followed the same procedure as I did with the thickness. When a group of jacks measured the desired .500" I ran all of the jacks through the machine at that setting.

The results:

Thickness (.150")
- 20 jacks were right on at .150". Five jacks were 1/2 of a thousandth thin at .1495". Two jacks were 1/1000" narrow at .149". One jack was 1 1/000" too thick at .151"

Width - (.500) - 18 jacks were right on at .500". 4 jacks were thin at .499. Five were thin at .4995. One was thick at .501".

I also measured the thickness and width of each jack at both ends. All were within 1/1000" end to end.

Conclusion: BUY IT! Most woodworkers will not have a need for a machine like this, but if you do, you will not be disappointed with the results you get. The only negative I found concerns the method of adjusting the cutting depth. Since each mark on the wheel only moves the table .002", it takes forever to change the depth of cut from .150" to .500". Some method of quickly raising or lowering the table would be really nice. That said, I really have my eye on his 4" tablesaw.

Disclaimer: I have no relationship, financial or otherwise, with Jim Byrnes. I'm just a most satisfied customer.

Ernie

Attachments

• sander1.png
    sander1.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 101
Last edited:

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thank you @ErnieM I am somewhat comfortable that Jim Byrnes Model Machines were NOT available in the 16th century. Do you know how did Harpsicord makers and other instrument people maintained the consistency required?

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Impressive, Ernie!

What grit of paper would you typically be using?
Wayne
It came with some 80 and 180 grit paper. I used the 180 grit, but it's easy to cut your own paper and use whatever grit you like. I don't know how well
the wedges would work with a really fine grit paper like 1000 grit, but I'll find out soon enough,

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Thank you @ErnieM I am somewhat comfortable that Jim Byrnes Model Machines were NOT available in the 16th century. Do you know how did Harpsicord makers and other instrument people maintained the consistency required?
Hank,

They used hand planes and jigs and a lot of time, patience, and skill.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Ernie - Great write up and timely. I am looking at getting a smaller sander for detail work. Might just consider this

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Hank,

They used hand planes and jigs and a lot of time, patience, and skill.
I thought that was going to be your answer.
I have many times considered a hand-planeing fixture, but making it adjustable is problematic and my (Engineering mind says) making a specific size will mean it will be wrong 98% of the time or I will have 37 fixtures! LOL

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Ernie - Great write up and timely. I am looking at getting a smaller sander for detail work. Might just consider this
You won't be disappointed. You should check out the video on his website first. After all, it's not cheap.

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
This looks to be the basis for a few DIY drum sanders out in the interland...Great write-up Ernie!

Brantnative

Jeff
Corporate Member
I have his small table saw. Best little saw for the model maker out there. They aren't cheap but they are made very well. Your review makes me think maybe I should get the sander too.

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
I have his small table saw. Best little saw for the model maker out there. They aren't cheap but they are made very well. Your review makes me think maybe I should get the sander too.
That table saw is something I don't think I can resist. If it's as good as this thickness sander, it's well worth the money.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Hmmm. I have been thinking of doing Kimiko and this may be an easy step. Traditionally a trough and a plane were used.
Another option is the very expensive Bridge City block plane with guide skirts.

Echd

C
User
That seems like the sort of tool I would rarely use but really appreciate when I needed it. So I'll probably buy one at some point and then never use it.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Hey Ernie, someone with a fraction of your patience and skill and who is always looking for a way to do things faster, has a "production" question-

Have you considered cutting to rough thickness and width on the TS like you currently do, but waiting to cut them to the 7" length until they are sanded to final thickness and width? That would allow you to feed longer strips which might be faster and result in even more precision and repeatability.

Be careful you don't suck in a finger or two while feeding short strips, the sanding drum can easily and painfully thickness a finger! o_O

I have some additional thoughts on the process, shoot me an email if you are interested.

Last edited:

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Hey Ernie, someone with a fraction of your patience and skill and who is always looking for a way to do things faster, has a "production" question-

Have you considered cutting to rough thickness and width on the TS like you currently do, but waiting to cut them to the 7" length until they are sanded to final thickness and width? That would allow you to feed longer strips which might be faster and result in even more precision and repeatability.

Be careful you don't suck in a finger or two while feeding short strips, the sanding drum can easily and painfully thickness a finger! o_O

I have some additional thoughts on the process, shoot me an email if you are interested.
Alan,

Yes, I tried that first. I found that the thickness is not as accurate with long pieces as there is no support on the outfeed end. I found it much easier to feed the wood in evenly when using shorter pieces - as this machine was designed for.
Of course, any additional thoughts would be appreciated.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Alan,

Yes, I tried that first. I found that the thickness is not as accurate with long pieces as there is no support on the outfeed end. I found it much easier to feed the wood in evenly when using shorter pieces - as this machine was designed for.
Of course, any additional thoughts would be appreciated.
I guess the ends of long and thin boards, if not supported, will tend to droop before and after the platen and that would cause the middle to rise against the sanding drum. What would be needed are springloaded infeed and outfeed rollers positioned fairly close to the drum like the big boys and planers. Oh, well, it was a thought. ;)

How is the dust collection?

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
I guess the ends of long and thin boards, if not supported, will tend to droop before and after the platen and that would cause the middle to rise against the sanding drum. What would be needed are springloaded infeed and outfeed rollers positioned fairly close to the drum like the big boys and planers. Oh, well, it was a thought. ;)

How is the dust collection?
Dust collection is great - I would guess 95%. On top of that, the machine is very quiet.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS