Jig Gloat - Trend Mortise & Tenon

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Though many of you may not find this appealing, I'm the kind of person that likes the jigs to do neat stuff ... so for me, this is a gloat. :eusa_danc

I picked up the $300 Trend Mortise & Tenon Jig at Woodcraft today during their 15% Brown Bag sale for $180! :icon_thum (Yes, the math does not work out, they had it on the clearance table for about $210 and marked it down from there)

It's still in the box, but sometime this week I'm going to break it out and give it a try ... I'll keep you posted on the results.

Does anyone else have one of these? What do you think of it?

Trend_Hero1.gif

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
J,
Nice score, I bet you could crank out some tennons on that puppy. Wonder if you could put a quick release clamp of some sort on it to speed up the holding.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Let's see- For $180, I could buy Bill Hylton's book "Router Magic", some baltic birch, a set of template bushings, a PC 690, Woodcraft $5.00 -1/2" straight bit. And make any size of tennion jig needed. Better yet, get some 3/4 MDF, and a kregg pocket screw jig form Lowes and make templates. Oh well.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Let's see- For $180, I could buy Bill Hylton's book "Router Magic", some baltic birch, a set of template bushings, a PC 690, Woodcraft $5.00 -1/2" straight bit. And make any size of tennion jig needed. Better yet, get some 3/4 MDF, and a kregg pocket screw jig form Lowes and make templates. Oh well.

For a table saw I will get a circular saw, mount it upside down under a piece of 1/2 ply, and clamp a piece of 2x4 on as a fence ... it's all about how you look at it, huh? :eusa_thin

What you outlined above would work too, I'm sure. I took that "route" once and just didn't have the skills to make an accurate enough jig to pull it off (used a plan out of a ShopNotes magazine article a while back). I spent more time messing with the home-made jig then it was worth the time. :slap:

As for this jig, I set it up today and it seems pretty easy. I'll post something with more detail when time permits.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Thanks for the link, cc4digital.

I've put the jig to use one evening last week ... it's a cool little thing. Easy to setup, learned how to use it in no time and it make a perfect fitting joint out of the box.

When I get some time, I'll write a detailed review.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Jeremy,

FWIW I think that's a great score and deserving of a

YOU SUCK !!!! :eusa_danc :eusa_danc

I find myself spending a LOT of time setting up the TS for tenons, sneaking up on the right fit. Yes, it's fast once set up but I would like to save the setup time or at least minimize it.

I look forward to hearing your comments about it.

Chuck

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Making tennons on the table saw with a jig is reasonably accurate and efficent use of time. But if you want real precision, use the band saw. How about cutting to .004"? It can be done and with very little (almost no) cash leaving your pockets. Get hold of a copy of Mark Dugenskie's video- "Mastering Woodworking Machines", or "Mastering the Bandsaw". Both are in the TWA library. He uses a fence made from scrap that is adjusted with post it notes, which are .004" thick. It is truely a "Slick Trick".:eusa_danc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors