Jewelry box

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I have to admit I am not all that smart or learned, I had to look up pedantic.

[COLOR=rgba(17, 50, 111, 0.909804)]pedanticadjective
US
/pɪˈdænt·ɪk/
[/COLOR]
caring too much about unimportant rules or details and not enough about understanding or appreciating a subject:

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
So, the third drawer slides in, between the other two drawers, as is most folks couldn't imagine that. I mean where else would it go?

But since it is supposed to be a secret drawer I was a little cloudy on the details.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
So, the third drawer slides in, between the other two drawers, as is most folks couldn't imagine that. I mean where else would it go?

But since it is supposed to be a secret drawer I was a little cloudy on the details.

That's fine and you've explained it now.

How about an end pic of your box (like pic 2 or 3) showing where the 3rd drawer fits in between the other two? How is is it still secret? I can imagine it fitting between the ends of the bottom drawers and beneath the top tray so no one will find it until the top tray is removed. ??????????

Barry W

Co-Director of Outreach
Barry
Corporate Member
Mike, interesting design and excellent execution. Please don't stop posting your work.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Here is the secret little drawer that slides in between the two side drawers.

attachment.php

My wife and our guest made hand marbled paper so I made an insert and she covered it with some of the marbled paper they made.
attachment.php

Here is one site that explains the process of marbling paper. It also works on wood. One of the turning magazines has an article on decorating bowls with this technique.

https://ohsobeautifulpaper.com/2016/03/how-to-make-marbled-paper/

Attachments

• IMG_1202.jpg
    IMG_1202.jpg
    303.7 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_1213.jpg
    IMG_1213.jpg
    437.2 KB · Views: 188

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
Well done Mike! beautiful craftsmanship!

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
Beautiful box, Mike. I like it the way it is. It's a great design and it looks great. That's a nice idea of using the lid to lock the two "secret drawers" in place. The center secret secret drawer is great too.

Here's an idea that you might consider for the next similar box (probably a bit late to install in this one).

When I make a similar kind of box with hidden drawers I like to use small pairs of magnets, one in each drawer bottom that lines up with another magnet in the box location so they line up in the drawer or box location to hold it in place. This keeps the drawers in place even after the lid has been removed, until the drawer is actually pulled. Another pair of magnets can be installed for the center "secret secret drawer box" to keep the "secret secret drawer box" in the center of the drawer opening from sliding out too, so you have to push or pull on this " secret secret drawer box" to get it to come out and tipping the box won't get it out. It will just look like the compartment back wall when someone removes either of the "outside secret drawers" and looks into the cavity where they were. Small pairs of magnets are great for this kind of thing when making small jewelry boxes with secret compartments. They hold the compartments closed until easily pulled or pushed on in the correct way to dislodge them.

Charley

DavidF

New User
David
Hey Mike, glad to see you're still out there and producing some fine work as always, nice bow, great design!

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Thank you very much David. Great to see you back here. Hope you will post what you’ve been up to in GB.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Where has David F been for the last several years. I recognize him from years ago and then he just dropped out of sight!

Hey Mike, glad to see you're still out there and producing some fine work as always, nice bow, great design!

DavidF

New User
David
Hi Jeff, didn't you come to my going away party?? I'm still using those two magnificent turning tools you all bought me! Yep, been away 8 years now and the job changed quite a lot, not much time to browse the web any more at lunch - Lunch times, now there's a thing of the past. Currently in a hotel in China!!
Looking forward to an invite to the next picnic....Now wouldn't that be nice??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors