Jewelry box finally finished..lots o' pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Well, it's almost done, I still need to give it several coats of gloss lacquer, but that won't translate well in the pictures, so here it is. This is the most difficult project I have ever made. The tolerances to make it look right are ridiculous..1/64" or less. That has lead to major frustration and remaking of several parts. But over all I am really proud of the final results. I took these pics with our new camera, so I am not exactly sure how to work it..to take the best shots. The lining is Kelly green, it doesn't show too well. And of course the wood is curly Soft Maple with quilted Bigleaf Maple veneered panels and Walnut inlays and pulls. I plan to have a official debute Tuesday night at the TWA meeting, 'cause the pictures just don't do the Maple figure justice. Thanks for looking. Dave:)

DSC00016.JPG

DSC00017.JPG

DSC00021.JPG

DSC00022.JPG

DSC00023.JPG

Jay

New User
Jay
Dave,

Awesome work! But then again that is what I have come to expect of you. I'm sure that your wife will love it and it will be passed on for generations to come.

Jay

JRD

New User
Jim
Way to go Dave. I'm impressed, now when do the classes begin for those of us who are wanting to learn more. Beautiful workmanship!

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Thanks Jay, my 2 yr. old daughter already has her eyes on it. She told me it was "pretty"
Dave:)

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
Dave, excellent! I'm sure you're daughter will be proud to own it one day. That's something to pass on.. and on..

R

rickc

Looks very nice Dave. Although you might think I am being smart with this next comment, I really am not. February's TWA program is a member show and tell type theme. I really think this would be a good one for you to bring, and share your experience and lessons learned when building it. Watch for an email to members, and the announcement at Tuesday's meeting. This is a beautiful box, and you should be very pleased with it. Please do consider sharing it at
February's meeting.

T

toolferone

Way to go Dave. Looks great. I do hope to see it in person. Let us know which TWA meeting you will be bringing it to.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Dave, That turned out totally awesome.:eusa_pray :eusa_pray :eusa_pray I know the LOYL is going to be very pleased with. And like Clay mentioned, you definitely created another heirloom that will be passed on for generations to come. Don't forget to add your name and date to it somewhere so your Grandkids will appreciate it more when the time comes. I look forward to seeing it Tuesday evening.

BTW, great job on the drawer fronts.:icon_thum

D L

Monty

New User
Monty
Bravo!!! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap Great work, as usual!

I was wondering when you were gonna finish this, but it was definitely worth the wait! That piece has figured wood everywhere - VERY nice!

Only one question, though.... couldn't you find a better picture to put inside the top?!?!?

DSC00021.JPG

:lol:

Big Mike

New User
Mike
Heirloom quality, Dave. A beautiful piece of work and a lot of work but it sure was worth it. You hopefully signed it somewhere so as it gets passed down in the family the provenance is right with it. Congratulations!:icon_thum

cskipper

Cathy
Dave, that turned out to be an awesome project! I glad you are not a vampire and I am awaiting mine:lol: . Seriously - I'm very impressed - great workmanship!

Big Mike

New User
Mike
I can see you used the 5MM pivot hinges for the box lid. What did you use for the swing out necklace doors? Nice work once again Dave!

Last edited:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Big Mike I used some regular brass butt hinges for the door. The plan called for larger barrel hinges (10mm) but the ones at Woodcraft were for 1/2" stock, and I was concerned that I would have a problem with my 3/4" stock. Now I know that the 1/2" was a minimum thickness, and they would have worked:slap:

DavidF, I would have to guess about 50-60 hours in it, I didn't really keep track. If you subtract the time fixing screw-up, drum sand the stock to thickness, and making jigs the actual construction prolly took half as long.

Thanks to everyone for your compliments, I am really proud of this one.
Dave:-D

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Outstanding, DaveO!

Very pretty. I like the design, the wood is stunning, the fit and finish look perfect.

Great job!

Chuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS