jet 8" jointer planer combo

Status
Not open for further replies.

lenny7608

New User
lenny
hi, has anyone heard anything about these units that jet has for sale i know the tables are small only 29" total in and out feed combined but i can add to them very easily its a 8" jointer 110v for 300 bucks thats cheap i know its only a 2 knive jointer but they do work fine if you take your time 8" b3nch model 707400 thanks any info or input would be very much appreciated
lenny

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I looked at one somewhere. Don't remember where, but I have seen it. It is tiny. You can probably joint a 4' board on it tops. Two knives is relative and the quality of cut is going to depend on the RPM's at the cutter head, and the feed rate used. Jointing you can feed super slow, but planing you are going to be limited to the feed rate.

Any idea of what the RPM's of the cutter head are?

Still, it is $300.....

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
I've looked at the 10" version of it at WoodCraft for $399 and have been tempted.

I recall someone here bought a 10" one and I've been waiting for a review on it but maybe I missed it.

I know Bas and maybe Doug Robinson bought the big brother 12" versions and have been happy with them. Unfortunately they're wayyyyyy outta my budget range.:no:

Brian.

lenny7608

New User
lenny
just looked up the cutter speed and it 9000 not to bad and i went ahead and bought the 10 inch instead, same machine just 2 more inches of table and only 100 bucks more a lot of good reviews so i guess well wait and see
lenny

lenny7608

New User
lenny
well i have been waiting and looking for my new toy just found out today that cpo is telling everyone that the 10 inch is on back order till the end of july so i will have to wait some more
thanks
lenny

nblong

New User
Bruce
First of all I'm a complete newbie so everything that follows is FWIW. (No wood was harmed in the making of this post but I won't be able to say the same after I get out to the shop later this morning.) I have the Jet 8" jointer/planer combo but it's not just the first time I bought one it's the first time I ever USED one so take everything I say with a very large dose of salt.

I decided to get this unit because I have a one-car garage shop so price and footprint were major considerations. It was either this or nothing. I don't do big things at all - no cabinets or tables or bookcases - so the short tables aren't a problem. I decided against the 10" model because a reviewer online pointed out that it has the same motor as the 8" model and jointing/planing that extra 2" might make a difference. I don't see myself needing 10 inches of capacity so the narrower model is just fine.

I have a few complaints but they might be related to my inexperience. The jointer table surface is not smooth. It's a series of tiny concentric curved grooves. I assume this is from the machining process but it makes moving the stock very difficult (for me) using only the pushpads that came with the machine. The more downward pressure I exert to get the pushpads to grab the stock the harder I'm pressing against the table surface. I'm stumped as to how I can use the hand-over-hand method on the outfeed side to maintain constant pressure yet still provide enough sideways force on the board, like you could with a pushstick on the end, to keep it moving. If anyone has any suggestions I'm all ears. Also, when you get it out of the box and take the protective paper off the tables, DON'T used Greased Lightning to clean them off (DAMHIKT). Turns out that reading the label on the bottle AFTER using the product isn't highly recommended.

The fence that originally came with the unit was both warped and cupped but the Jet customer service folks are wonderful and they replaced it immediately. Also be sure to ask them for the instructions on how to adjust the jointer outfeed table. It's one picture, simple and easy. Why it isn't in the owner's manual I don't know. It's a bit of a hassle switching the dust port back and forth between jointer mode and planer mode but you have to because of the safety switches. I'd guess it takes me maybe 5 minutes tops. Finally, I'm getting a lot of snipe when planing but I have a few ideas about how to reduce that. Again, all this may be my ineptitude.

There are a couple of good videos online about this model and Amazon has a bunch of reviews, good and bad.

I hope this helps, Lenny.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Lenny, have you waxed the tables and the fence? That might help.

Also, I don't understand your comments on the hand over hand?

As for the push pads, I am not sure how good (or bad) the ones you have are, but I put very coarse sandpaper on mine. Additionally, one of mine has a lip on it to grab the end of the board. Still, if your tables are slick enough I would think you should be able to use the hand over hand method on the outfeed tables without a lot of issues. If all else fails, you might see about getting someone with a little more Jointer experience to come over and check it out.

JMTCW - and like you, know wood was harmed in writing this post. ;-)

nblong

New User
Bruce
Travis,

This is what I love about this site. Never occurred to me to wax things but I'll try. The sandpaper sounds like a good idea too. My pushpads are flat plastic with a kind of checkerboard pattern on the bottom and they don't grip very well at all. I haven't noticed a lip but if there isn't one I'll just make my own pads and see how that works.

The hand-over-hand problem was that I needed to keep the stock moving with one pad on the infeed end so I couldn't figure out how to continuously maintain pressure on the outfeed side.

Many thanks for the advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS