Jet 14" Bandsaw - replacement trunnions?

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
So I had a duh! moment yesterday when I placed a relatively large piece of tree on to my BS table - and felt it give way, then saw it sitting at 'a compound angle.' Broken trunnions. Jet 14" open stand saw - old enough to be blue.

So I found these 'almost universal' replacements on Amazon, that look like they'll work.
https://www.amazon.com/trunnions-wo...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B000HEJKZ0

I have also heard many good things about Iturra Design I think it is called - a place for all things band saw. It apparently has an extensive and educational catalog, but no web page.

Is it worth trying to track Iturra down?
Or should I go with the 'Hamilton Tool and Supply Co' pieces on Amazon that are described as 'better than original" by users with Delta saws?

THanks,

nn4jw

New User
Jim
If you are able to get in touch with Itura let us know. Anything I find googling around is dated and I can't tell if he is still in business or not.

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
i ordered some stuff from Iturra last year. Just call him.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Did you do a web search for "broken trunnions on Jet 14" bandsaw?" From somewhere, I remember a poster getting trunnions from Grizzly to fit his Jet

PeteStaehling

New User
Pete
A lot of parts interchange between many of the 14" bandsaws. Not sure which ones fit yours though. Have you tried ereplacement parts and tool parts direct? A google search for "Jet bandsaw trunnions" had quite a few hits that may or may not have been for your exact model.

FWIW, at a glance the pictures of most of the delta clones look like the trunnions are the same. They may or may not fit though. I know that a lot of the jet parts do interchange with my Delta.

When I broke the trunnions on my Delta moving it home, Delta sent me the wrong part for one of the trunnions (it wasn't even a trunnion). They put me in touch with the head guy in charge of parts to sort it out and he sent me the right part, but he also sent me a pair of heavier duty trunnions that also fit. I am pretty sure he said they were for a drill press. They looked identical only heavier thickness walls. I'd try to read the part number off the casting if you thought your Jet took the same trunnions as my Delta (model 28-245). Probably not worth the effort though since the drill press trunnions would also be hard to find now.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
So I found these 'almost universal' replacements on Amazon, that look like they'll work.
https://www.amazon.com/trunnions-wo...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B000HEJKZ0

I have also heard many good things about Iturra Design I think it is called - a place for all things band saw. It apparently has an extensive and educational catalog, but no web page.

Update -
I decided to order the pair on Amazon. I have a 2010 pdf version of Iturra catalog, and they list what they sell as Delta OEM parts.

I am HOPING that these aftermarket parts are better quality than the OEM parts.

The number of Google search results for 14" Band saw trunnion replacement that reference a Delta 14" saw are too numerous to follow. The Delta saw was likely way more numerous than the Jet version over a certain time frame, so if 10% of trunnions break there will be way more Delta owners looking than Jet owners. All this makes me suspect that these OEM parts are not the best quality (admittedly none of these 14" BS trunnions are 'beefy" in any way).

Will let you know my impressions once I can compare these replacements to the OEM parts - although I won't be testing the replacements in the same way I broke the originals.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Henry -
I think you will find that you are disappointed with the quality of the OEM or aftermarket trunnions. (I know I was)
These are poorly cast - zinc die-cast parts but I am guessing that if someone were to make better parts (probably charging $60- $100) that everyone would think, well I can buy two or three of the cheap ones...

PeteStaehling

New User
Pete
Henry -
I think you will find that you are disappointed with the quality of the OEM or aftermarket trunnions. (I know I was)
These are poorly cast - zinc die-cast parts but I am guessing that if someone were to make better parts (probably charging $60- $100) that everyone would think, well I can buy two or three of the cheap ones...
Truth be told the cheap zinc ones are adequate in normal usage for a pretty long life IMO. Yes, ideally heavier duty would be better, but they are okay. I broke mine because they got manhandled moving and loading into the back of a vehicle that wasn't optimum by a long shot. Knowing what I know now I take the machine apart into 4 parts (stand, top, bottom, and table) for moving and that is what I did for the last move.

I have an extra set of the lightest duty ones and a set of heavier duty ones (also zinc but a good bit thicker wall) and fully expect to never use either. I do feel better having them though. Even resawing some pretty big green logs I doubt I will ever break another trunnion, but if I do I'll just slap on a new one. Keeping a set of spares on hand isn't a terrible idea.

Last edited:

Jim Roche

New User
jim
I'm an old iron fan and this problem is pretty common with the old Delta 14" Bandsaws, as the trunnions were made from pot metal. A good rule of thumb is if you are going to move a bandsaw around the shop, grab it by the frame and the hex/round post that adjusts the height, both good grab points.
If you're going to be moving a bandsaw from one location to another, take off the table and trunnions as you will avoid the temptation of grabbing the table.
If traveling with one, it's good to either stand it up or lay it on its spine(frame) and use all the straps that came in that multi-pack that you bought! :rotflm:

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Henry -
These are poorly cast - zinc die-cast parts ,,,

I just received them, and have not yet installed. I don't know about poorly cast... but they don't look substantially different from the originals. Methinks these would not be considered heavy duty.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Completed - Jet 14" Bandsaw - replacement trunnions

Bought these 'almost universal' replacements on Amazon for my old blue Jet 14" Band saw, open stand

Received then faster than the shipping estimate.
They appeared to VERY similar in design and material to the originals. These did have a sticker with the angle scale on them. And while the saw has an adjustable pointer for the scale, I am not going to bother since I use a square to get the table 90 deg to the blade, then adjust the stop.

Installed w/o issue and back to a fully functioning BS.

I never did try to contact Iturra Design, so I can't update anyone on that company.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS