Jatoba T&G

Status
Not open for further replies.

max_in_graham

New User
Max
I've got a major task in front of me, that I sure could use some sage advice on.

I'm about ready to start hanging about 1000 bd ft of 3.25" wide T&G Jatoba flooring on my walls.

Uh huh, you didn't misread that... on my walls. :rotflm:

I wish it was straight forward solid wall application... but alas, I'm pulling the crazy button out and essentially pushing it real hard. In that I am going to try to reconstitute boards out of em; a pattern of 1, 2, and 3 boards wide.

This insanity is compounded by needing to place them a very precise distance apart, than cannot vary more than 1/4" variation total, across the face of any single wall.

To take it even further down the road of needing a ticket to Dix Hill, the boards are needing to sit on top of a layer of insulation, that is separated by furring strips, which is what I'm going to try to attach to....

But just to prove I'm a tad beyond nuts... I need to keep as much of the rigid insulation on the wall and as few furring strips as possible.

I figure making "planks" 3 wide should be cake work. 2 planks wide is gonna be tricky... but single board width is flat out gonna drive me nuts the only way I can figure it.

Each package contains 2, 3, 4, and 5 foot long pieces. Most of the packages of the flooring have several full 5' pieces in them, as best I can tell.

I kinda' think the 5 footers will be best to use as single board width. With the shorter boards being used to make the wider boards.

Once the boards are "made up", I will need to remove the tongue...

The rigid insulation comes in 4'x8' sheets, and while I know there's a way to make the insulation come out for the most efficient furring strip usage @ 16", I'm not sure how well that's gonna work out using a 1x4 furring strip with 24", 36", 48" and 60" boards.

So, my main question is, how far apart do I dare make my furring strips to secure the jatoba to the wall?

It's certainly a HEAVY wood, with each 22 sq ft bundle weighing a little over 100 lbs., I kinda' worry about just securing it with nails every 24 inches.

The next big question is what to do about securing the boards together to make a wide board. Should I glue them with a decent wood glue –or– should I just rely on the main fastening method to attach them to the furring?

I don't really know how stable jatoba is. But, it sure seems like it is. I've had the wood stored in a regular "u-store-it" facility for almost 5 years, and there sure doesn't seem to be any warping, cup or twist to have occurred... and the T&G's are still super tight just in the bundles.

Oh... did I mention that the architect thinks (as do I) that the pattern should be on a 45 degree angle? :BangHead:

:help:

nelsone

New User
Ed
Is this going up against a masonry wall? The nails would probably be enough, but you could always add some liquid nails to the furring strips.

gfernandez

Gonzalo
Corporate Member
Max,
You know they make medication for this, don't you?:rotflm:

Seriously, can you post an outline or picture of what you are trying to do? It would help to visualize the pattern.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS