j-line brodhead Garrett Lathe screw size

naturalconstruction

New User
Thomas
I bought a lathe from a gentleman in youngsville last year, and have trouble finding the thread size for the bed size of my lathe. I bought a 1in x 8tpi faceplate on amazon, but it was a just too small. is there a 1 1/8 x 8tpi or a similar size that might work for the screw pitch on my machine? I really dont have much experience with lathes at all, but would like to turn a few small projects. thanks for any input or thoughts,
Thomas

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
Thomas, measure the outside diameter of the threads on your spindle. If the 1" thread didn't fit, you may find it's 1-1/4". I'm not familiar with your lather but 1-1/8" diameter is really an odd ball. Then to get the thread count, lay a a good ruler down on the threads and count the number of threads per inch. There you go! Now you know what size you need!

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Thomas, I think the lathe you have has a 1 1/8" by 8 tip headstock threading. It's the same as the Oliver 159 so you can use those accessories. You should go to OWWM.org and ask there to make sure the accessories will fit, because I don't know if the length of the spindle nose is different between your lathe and the Oliver. Your best bet may be to find an Oliver lathe owner and see if you could borrow a faceplate to test on your lathe. If you were closer, I could loan you one.

Roy G

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Roy is right. 1-1/8-8 it is or at least was when it left the factory. In the odd chance you run across any of those lathes I've redone, it will have a 1-8 spindle nose. I re-threaded them and I'm not real sure that was a good thing. A 1-8 spindle nose with a 2 MT bore is pretty flimsy for such a hefty lathe spindle.

Oneway will have them or at least will make them for you and they do really high quality work.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors