Its time to do some Mortise and Tenon stuff

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
Just got my copy of MT #6 in the mail. My first 2 copies were gifts from Graywolf and the 4 and 5 editions were a gifts from another member Jim here in Durham. The magazine is pretty hard core hand tool work oriented. The best way I can keep it short and accurate is to imagine what Roy Underhill would do in a magazine media.

After reading the latest magazine, I decided to do some M/T work in the shop. I hope to build another small table with all mostly hand tools. When we switched over to the new format, I asked Neal (bowman) if a blog would be something we could have on this site for having a project build shown with comments below. This would keep the building process in the archives and allow others to view at their leisure and consider for their use.

The project I am thinking about doing in walnut is the close to the cherry table.
https://ncwoodworker.net/forums/index.php?media/albums/cherry-table-build-9-2018.2208/

As I roll up my sleeves and scratch my head, I think I will just take photos for now and store them till a blog or something more permanent is offered on the site. For those that have a remote interest in mortise and tenon, veneering, dovetailed drawers being built take a look over in the cherry table folder and get back with a question.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Gorgeous table and drawers Dan! I truly admire your work, and that you share with us what you do.

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
Dan,

I got pretty excited when I saw the title to this post. I've been thinking about a discussion on Mortise and Tenon (the joint, not the magazine) for some time.

If people would try them, they would see just how simple they are to make. Also, basically very low cost compared to Dominos, Kreg Jigs and some other methods. I would argue that the basic mortise and tenon joint is a better than these as well.

My suspicion is that some are intimidated by basic M&T thinking it's a difficult joint to make when it's actually the exact opposite.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Dan, I'm glad you enjoyed the magazine. Just reading what was published has helped me in multiple levels. I look forward to your future posts as your knowledge base is stronge and should be shared.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS