Cathy
It's here!! My new Pegas scroll saw!! 20191106_190250.jpg

Last edited:

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
We got it unpacked, the stand built and the saw on the stand. My vision is so poor that I can't see to saw without the magnifier/light We didn't get that attached yet. I'll post more when I know.
Can't wait to see what you do with it! @cskipper

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
YEEHAH Cathy! I am very anxious to learn of your reactions to the Pegas. I never got the chance to go over and give it a try. I am thinking about replacing one of the Hawk saws in the coming year, and I'm very interested in the Pegas. Hooray for Klingspors for becoming dealers for the Pegas scroll saws and the magnificent Pegas Scroll Band Saw, and Pegas saw blades!

cskipper

Cathy
I think I am going to LOVE this saw. I cut something a little while ago and John said that he didn't even hear the saw running! I scroll in the next room so this is a major bonus.

A brief word about the way it was packed. The saw was very securely packed - bolted to a board and surrounded by foam. The cardboard box had thick reinforcement cardboard in the corners and was double boxed. The saw came with a blade mounted on the machine and a package of sample blades.

The most significant challenge for me is learning to change the blade. That sounds rather simple but the process is completely different than that of the Hegner saw, the one I have been using for 20+ years! I am sure that I will get better at it - I even managed to change it and cut with it today.

Top feeding the blade has several challenges. One is not only feeding through a piece of wood (of course), then through the hole in the table but also but managing to get the blade through a hole in a plastic membrane under the table. The membrane appears to be part of the vacuum system. It's possible that the hole in the membrane may ultimately become the same size as the hole in the table but it currently is not. Another problem is that there is a lever under the table that appears to support this same membrane. The lever can be moved to either side, but does seem necessary to support the membrane. It also seems to provide better support of the membrane if left in the center position or to the right. It is in the way in either location. Add in the fact that I am left handed and have to reach through or around it with my right hand to get to the toggle on the blade clamp which is located on the right side of the blade clamp mechanism. (Chuckling at this point is acceptable).

So I believe that this is a great saw. The only learning curve I see so far is getting use to changing the blade. Beyond that it cuts beautifully. It's quiet and runs smoothly. I'm impressed.

I can't believe that I forgot to mention that the table is HUGE - roughly 23: x 13", much larger than the Hegner.

Last edited:

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Wow, that was fast! Thought you might have to wait for a new shipment to arrive. Now that you have that beautiful little machine, I'll be anxious to hear more about your likes and dislikes after you've become better acquainted with it. Did I say I am a little jealous? Happy sawdusting young lady!

cskipper

Cathy
Wow, that was fast! Thought you might have to wait for a new shipment to arrive. Now that you have that beautiful little machine, I'll be anxious to hear more about your likes and dislikes after you've become better acquainted with it. Did I say I am a little jealous? Happy sawdusting young lady!
Thanks. So far I've cut a couple of puzzles and ornaments (I know - no pictures no proof - lol) and the only thing I'm not great with yet is top feeding the blade. I'm having difficulty blindly finding the hole in the table through the wood, then through the vacuum deal and then finding the clamp. In order to get to saw I am bottom feeding the blade. The whole process is rather different than using the Hegner. Since the arm lifts up it's easy enough. I'll learn to do the other before I do a larger piece.

I am amazed at how solid and quiet this saw is.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
Top feeding isn’t necessary, just possible. I usual bottom feed on my EX. Just the fact that it is possible is good for the times that it it needed.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS