It's DRY!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
My humidistat says 24% inside and looking at the ffffffforcast it's heading down over the next few days! Seeing lots of openings in my hardwood floors and antiques. Also...You acoustic guitar and wooden stringed instrument folks need to give your precious babies some humidity. Keep those cracks away! I checked my guitars and mandolin last night and every humidifier was dry as a bone. Just filled them 2 weeks ago.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
The dry air is hard on humans, too. Dry skin, stuffy nose, scratchy throat.

Might have to check into a whole house humidifier.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
The dry air is hard on humans, too. Dry skin, stuffy nose, scratchy throat.

Might have to check into a whole house humidifier.

I haven't seen any use for a whole house dehumidifier down here in NC, because the dryness is short lived. Up north (NJ) dryness was a severe issue if you had hot air heat, I had steam heat and still had problems in deep winter. My kids have had dry coughs lately and the doctor told us to hang danp towels in their rooms and it has helped alot.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
We've been boiling a big pot of water on the stove to keep the humidity up in the house. - you know dry heat don't feel all that warm - the same temperature is much more comfortable when it's humidified.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
The RH in our house today is right around 24%. I can see the effects all over. New gaps showing up in the hardwood floors and in the joints in the window trim and crown moldings, etc.

I was kind of surprised seeing the gaps in the moldings. They are the standard builders grade stuff made of MDF. Didn't think that stuff was subject to that much shrinkage from dry conditions.

BTW, I was half joking about the humidifier. Although I did call one HVAC contractor to see about getting an estimate. It might be worthwhile. :dontknow:

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
The RH in our house today is right around 24%. I can see the effects all over. New gaps showing up in the hardwood floors and in the joints in the window trim and crown moldings, etc.

I was kind of surprised seeing the gaps in the moldings. They are the standard builders grade stuff made of MDF. Didn't think that stuff was subject to that much shrinkage from dry conditions.

BTW, I was half joking about the humidifier. Although I did call one HVAC contractor to see about getting an estimate. It might be worthwhile. :dontknow:

I'm also kind of shocked about the MDF shrinking, I thought that non-shrinking was supposed to be one of it's good points.:icon_scra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS