It's all a learning process

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hook

New User
Gregory
What to do and what not to do. This is pink ivory. Something tells me it's not made for scrolling. It's very dense and will dull a blade in very little time.

Notice the piece on the left - all burnt up. I only used 5 blades on this piece. :kamahlitu

Now notice the piece on the right - very few burn marks. I used two entire packages of blades. :eek:

Now, just because the blade won't cut the pink ivory anymore, doesn't mean it can't be used on softer hardwoods and pine.
:gar-Bi
Something many of you are probably familiar with, all in a weekend:

After playing with the pink ivory, the black walnut seemed quite easy and get this - only two blades on the entire piece.

Remind me to thank Ray again for selling me that saw. Unbelievable the difference a saw makes sometimes. Nothing like that quick blade change from the topside for those inside cuts. Don't ask, I didn't count them.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Gregory,

Nice job on the welcome sign, but I think that the chess pieces rule ( I remember them from last time). Keep on scrolling, you might have found your calling:icon_thum.

Jimmy:)

b4man

New User
Barbara
As I read your post I found myself grinning as I shook my head. Been there, done that and glad to see you made something really nice in spite of the trashed blades:eusa_clap:eusa_clap!

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Great job on the Welcome sign there , Greg!!!!:thumbs_up:thumbs_up:thumbs_up

I have to admit that you have a lot more patience than I would with that pink ivory!:no6xn::no6xn: In spite of all of the blades, you really did make some nice progress though! Can the burn marks be sanded off or is that stuff just way too hard?

Hope that the LOML doesn't see that sign or I am big trouble!:shocked7fl:

Thanks for sharing!

Wayne

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Greg great job on the cutting. Sorry about the burns. Burns come from friction. You may have tried these but a couple suggestions which might help:

- slow the saw way down.

- wrap your stock in clear tape (packing tape). The tape lubricates the blade

- not sure what blades you used but some brands are better then others. My personal choice is flying dutchman

- not sure what size blade you used but I would drop down one or two sizes.

I hope these help.....Good luck.

Hook

New User
Gregory
Thanks for the tips. 8)

I've been using the skip tooth Olson Blades between 9 & 12 tpi and 6 to 8 reverse. Normally these blades are awesome for turning a corner. Never heard of flying dutchman blades, I'll have to look for them. I'll try the packaging tape as well. I've been using several wraps of scotch tape to hold the piece together once the first side is cut. The saw is already at it's sloooooowwest speed (1650 rpm) right now. I may go back to cutting the chess pieces on my craftsman saw (which will go down to 600 rpm). I seem to get better results on that one for this type of work than I do on the delta.

sawduster

New User
Robert
Man do I feel your pain on this one ! :BangHead: You are a braver man than I to be trying that many turns in such a hard wood. I had the same misfortune with some bird's eye maple and have finally resolved myself to only doing simple things in that wood for the future
Scott makes some good suggestions .......especially the clear packing tape .
Wrap the tape around the wood before applying the pattern to reduce the glare from shop lighting. It really makes a big difference . I use FD blades myself and really like them a lot http://www.mikesworkshop.com/
My preference for compound cuts is the Polar blade
Mike is a good guy and very helpful with blade selection :icon_thum Send him an e-mail and he will be glad to help

good job man :eusa_clap.....can't wait to see the whole set

RayH

New User
Ray
Greg,

Beautiful work. That saw does a much prettier job in Creedmoor than it ever did in Raleigh. Must be something about the geography.:icon_thum

RayH

Hook

New User
Gregory
Thanks again Ray! You don't know how much easier this saw has made some of my cutting recently.

Hook

New User
Gregory
I went ahead and ordered the FD assortment pack from Mikes woodshop. I've also noticed I'm having trouble getting my table to 90 degrees against the blade. Not sure how to get that remaining degree or two as the tilt adjustment stops appear to be set.

Only one chess piece left to go on the pink ivory side. Cocobolo side is finished (pictures another time - it's past my bedtime). I've noticed a great improvement in symmetry after reading a tip/technique for 3D scrolling in these forums. Too bad I hadn't read the article sooner.

I think I'll try some basswood if I can't sand out the burn marks on the pink Ivory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors