It was a plot

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Yesterday, I went over to the Raleigh Woodcraft to get a few things in preperation for assembling and using my new Rikon Lathe.:eusa_danc So first I got a bed extension and stand extension (just in case I want to turn Table legs in the next week or so:lol: ) Then I decided I should try to turn a pen as my first experiment in turning. So I got a couple of pen kits(knowing that I will probably screw up the first one), some nice blanks and John at woodcraft threw in a bunch of scrap blanks for me to practice on. Then I wanted a book on turning so I could figure out which of those beautiful tools was used for what. And, of course, I got a book on pen turning. And I couldn't go home without a pen press and that jig for drilling the center holes. And of course while I was there, There were a few odds and ends that I always just HAVE TO GET. Total Price? Over $450:eusa_danc Boy is that first pen going to be something:lol:

When, I got home and started to read the book, I remembered Alan Leland's and many others words, that as your turning, you will need to constantly take your tools over to your "sharpening station":?: :?: To touch up your edge on the tool your are currently using.:eusa_thin

Wait,:eusa_hand no problem, I've got a Tormek with every jig they make:icon_thum So I go through the box with all the attachments trying to figure which one I need. Well, it seems that every different tool in that wonderful assortment seems to need a different jig .:BangHead: I'll be spending all my time changing jigs and very little time sharpening, let alone tuning:crybaby2:

Ok time to go do something. Just in case, while all of this true, my tongue was firmly planted in my cheek.;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) :lol: :lol: :lol: :rolf:

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Steve, what you have described required the involvement of more than three people. That makes it not just a plot, but a conspiracy!:lol:

Happy turning!

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
I'm getting suspicious... While this sounded somewhat like a lament, I think there was a tool gloat in there... new parts for the new lathe, new tools and technique books, more supplies... What does everybody think?

Ray

DaveO

New User
DaveO
:eusa_booh :eusa_booh :eusa_booh Oh, the pain on slipping down that slope, arse first :lol: :lol: :lol: Just start turning and figure out how to use the rest of the stuff later. I don't have 1/3 of that stuff and have turned a few things, so it can be done.
Dave:)

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
No pics, it didn't happen.

I have heard many say a wolverine jig on the grinder is the simplest and best way to go though. Another tool to buy. Oh well.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Steve,

Isn't shop setup (including turning) over half of the fun of this hobby????:lol:

I agree with Travis. You need to put that Rikon together for a photo shoot!! (Especially to show us that missed the picnic, the evidence!) While your at it some of the "accessories" should be included in the pic.

Them boys over there at Woodcraft are a great bunch ain't they! They certainly don't steer you in the wrong direction when accessorizing(sp)!

Looks like you are in for a fun week!:eusa_danc

Wayne

R

rickc

Ray Martin said:
I'm getting suspicious... While this sounded somewhat like a lament, I think there was a tool gloat in there... new parts for the new lathe, new tools and technique books, more supplies... What does everybody think?

Ray

Yeah - sort of like a guy complaining because he has to pay more taxes after winning the $100 million lottery! Oh the pain! Oh the agony! :lol:

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Canuck said:
Steve,

Isn't shop setup (including turning) over half of the fun of this hobby????:lol:

I agree with Travis. You need to put that Rikon together for a photo shoot!! (Especially to show us that missed the picnic, the evidence!) While your at it some of the "accessories" should be included in the pic.

Them boys over there at Woodcraft are a great bunch ain't they! They certainly don't steer you in the wrong direction when accessorizing(sp)!

Looks like you are in for a fun week!:eusa_danc

Wayne
Well things went well for most of the day. As I was lifting the lathe onto its stand, I realized that there was a piece of the packing foam in my way. So I stopped. Then I decided that since I knew it was there, and it was a piece I could easily step over, I would just go ahead. I easily stepped over it, but for some reason as I lifted my left leg to follow my right over the obstruction, I was totally off balance:roll: As I started to go down, I had to make to quick decision. What should I protect, the lathe or my body:eusa_thin The lathe, obviously:eusa_danc :icon_thum No damage to the Lathe and only a couple of brusies to my butt and my ego.:saw: :bbiggrin: Finally got the lathe on the stand and loosely attached it and the bed extension and the stand extension. I then discovered that the extension would not align with stand all tightened down So I had to loosen certain pivotal bolts in the stand and then bring the bed into alignment.

RikonLatheAligningextension.jpg

More adventures tomorrow:lol:

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Travis Porter said:
We need to sign Steve up for one of the Wood magazine shop clean up give aways.:lol:

Hey, you've hurt feelings,:crybaby2: that's the best my shop has looked in months:lol:

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Now Steve! Behave yourself. You didn't need to take me literally!

You know I am just about 2 miles down the road from ya. PM me next time you try something that heavy!!!

By the way, that extension and stand look pretty darn slick!!! (And rolls around too!!!)

Take care and thanks for the PICS,

Wayne

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
The piles, the piles. I have the same issue, too many piles. Buy stuff with the intention of doing such and such and it disappears over time. I might sign myself up as well.

The lathe and the stand do look quite nice. Beware, "the turning addiction" will take root.

erasmussen

RAS
Corporate Member
DaveO said:
:eusa_booh :eusa_booh :eusa_booh Oh, the pain on slipping down that slope, arse first :lol: :lol: :lol: Just start turning and figure out how to use the rest of the stuff later. I don't have 1/3 of that stuff and have turned a few things, so it can be done.

I think some folks just have a talent:eusa_thin

stoneskippers

New User
John Skipper
Well, Steve, you have heard us say over and over again that it is a slippery slope - but I do not know of anyone else who has literally "slid" down it!! :rolf:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Oh man, John Skipper took the words out of my mouth. Steve, you know how easy it is to call for my assistance in moving machinery, and it is always my pleasure.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Canuck and Dave, I know and appreciate that you guys would have come and help lift it. But honestly, I really didn't need help. That was a fall just waiting to happen, even with empty hands. The only difference would have been, I wouldn't have had anything to protect, I would let myself fall forward and landed on my hands. Probably breaking my wrist:rolf:

cskipper

Cathy
Steve, I have to tell you that I haven't laughed to hard throughout a thread (since you didn't break anything)!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS