It is goodwill lathe time

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
BryanS has had his share of fun but it is now time for someone else to try it. For the newer members the lathe is a complete turning system. Includes, Rikon lathe, a full set of quality turning tools, grinder, sharpen jigs, live center, chuck, pen mandrel and instructions. BryanS is adding to the lathe a stopper mandrel, some sand paper and Mylands Finish. The holder of the goodwill lathe gets about 3 months before it is rotated to a new person.

So if interested just put your name here in this thread or send me PM. You have until June 6th to apply. In the event of multiple candidates the BoD will make the final selection.

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
I'd like to nominate Kelly, knb226, he's a young guy who has a strong hankering to take up turning and wants to make a spinning wheel.

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
Oh Phil...don't send that poor boy down that deep hole! ;-)

Last edited:

Bryan S

Bryan
Ii is a great lathe and it has been fun, but it is time to go back to some flat work, like the chest I started over a year ago for the misses. I did get a key ring kit turned for my daughter today. It will be a birthday present.

The misses did ask me a while back how much we could get one for :eusa_danc

ss600r

New User
Steve
I'd like to give this a try sometime in the future if I can get one you fellows to teach me. Maybe later this year sometime or even next year. I would expect to be behind some guys that have been around awhile and I'm just starting to redo my garage/workshop.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
This is an awesome opportunity for anyone interested in getting into turning. Feel free to nominate yourself. :thumbs_up:thumbs_up

Bryan S

Bryan
This is an awesome opportunity for anyone interested in getting into turning. Feel free to nominate yourself. :thumbs_up:thumbs_up

Trent is absolutely right. It is a great opportunity to try something new without having to shell out some serious $$s first. With all the traveling going on this weekend hopefully some will start chiming in tomorrow.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
I'd like to nominate SubGuy.

He's a newer member who has been a frequent contributor. He has an interest in turning an does not yet have a lathe.

Many of you may have met him at the picnic.

Jim

wudnbotluvr

New User
Z
Newbie. This goodwill lathe sounds like a great idea. How long has this been going around? I have turned a little. I would be a little apprehensive about starting from scratch on a tool as powerful/dangerous as a lathe. Does it come with a live instruction/demonstration to make it safer?

Randy

Bryan S

Bryan
Newbie. This goodwill lathe sounds like a great idea. How long has this been going around? I have turned a little. I would be a little apprehensive about starting from scratch on a tool as powerful/dangerous as a lathe. Does it come with a live instruction/demonstration to make it safer?

Randy

Hello Randy. The goodwill lathe was a gift to Steve Coles, the founder of this great site. Steve in turn donated it back to the members of the site. This thread by DaveO explains in more detail. I have been fortunate enough to be the latest recipient, or care taker of the lathe.

As for your second question. Quite often the hand off is made at a central location, but not always, and while the next recipient may not want me to demonstrate, there are members here that will be glad to offer some personal instruction if asked.

Please do, stop in the who we are forum and introduce yourself there to the group.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I'll re-nominate Heath. I believe he was interested the last go round.

Travis

Didn't he take himself out of the running at the last minute? Might want to make sure he wants it now. If he does, I would add another +1 to the idea.

navy1990

New User
Matt
I would like to throw my hat in for nomination. I have been bitten by the turning bug :tinysmile_cry_t: but due to financial strains, I haven't been able to get a lathe. Congrats to whoever gets the goodwill lathe.

knb226

New User
Kelly
I am meeting up with Bryan this afternoon, will post pics this evening or tomorrow sometime. Thanks again everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors