It’s that time of year again...

NCTurner

New User
Gary
Careful in your outside wood piles, the snakes are bedding in and moving slow. Found this little guy outside while cleaning up today...

Attachments

• 42F33A98-91E5-478C-91E1-7B190A04FD43.jpeg
    42F33A98-91E5-478C-91E1-7B190A04FD43.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 281
  • 7119EA08-6257-43FF-A26C-EBF9DFA0967A.jpeg
    7119EA08-6257-43FF-A26C-EBF9DFA0967A.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 265

NCTurner

New User
Gary
I relocated him to a wooded area about 5 miles down the rd. I don’t personally see a need to kill them, they keep the rodent population down, and generally don’t bother humans unless tread upon. I used to keep about 30 snakes, and while none of them were “hot” I know how to handle them properly. Here is the release photo

Attachments

• CCA567C9-8978-4144-90A2-F255C51F7D5C.jpeg
    CCA567C9-8978-4144-90A2-F255C51F7D5C.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 205

robliles

Rob
Corporate Member
Having also been bitten by one, I respectfully have to agree with catch and release. I live in a very remote area, surrounded by woods and with a 10 acre lake/pond in front of the house. Snakes, along with many other critters, are not uncommon. I am a firm believer we are all God's creatures and I am as much in their space and they are in mine. Unless something poses a direct threat to my family or myself, we are all welcome to share the space.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
She stumbled across one and lost her eye at 10 months old, Im not a fan either.....it was a monster too... 37" long, beat it to death with a 2x4.

Attachments

• IMG_1014.JPG
    IMG_1014.JPG
    628.2 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_1009.JPG
    IMG_1009.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 170

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Most snakes prey on rats, mice, and other rodents and we have lots of non-venomous snakes so I won't miss a few dead copperheads, etc.

NCTurner

New User
Gary
Poor girl! Sad to hear that. I removed one about 36” last year. I don’t fault anyone who does kill them, and completely understand doing so. Mine is just a personal choice to relocate when I can. As previously stated, I also have the tools and knowledge to do so safely, if you are not familiar with handling snakes and especially venomous snakes PLEASE PLEASE either leave them alone, or dispatch them and carry on.

redknife

Chris
Corporate Member
Copperhead got our bullmastiff's paw tonight after dark. We've seen some copperheads recently, dispatched what we could because they were near the house and cars. Dog is staying at the vet tonight for fluids +- antivenom. I searched a decent radius with my FLIR but couldn't find anything (other dogs going out intermittently tonight). Hope she does OK. She was in a lot of pain:(.
IMG_2675.jpg
IMG_2676.jpg

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Years ago, while living in Texas, we bought a house that was situated on 5 acres of land with a beautiful creek that meandered through the property. During our first year there I killed dozens of water moccasins and copperheads! The kids were small (8 and 4), so I was always worried that they would accidentally encounter one, they didn't but I worried about it. Snakes were not our only varmints, we had plenty of fire ants and scorpions, too.

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
Copperheads are opportunities there are lazy. Just watch were you stept. Water moccasins are one the other hand are aggressive. They will come after you. I kill every one I come across. Rattlers are gentlemen. They don't want to mess with you any more than you don't want to mess with them. They sit up and rattle. They are saying hey little buddy I'm over here you stay over there. I kill copperheads and moccasins, but I try not to kill rattlers. If I have too I will. They do a lot of good killing rats etc. The other two don't do as much good as harm so the balance comes out DISPATCH THEM TO THEIR ANCESTORS.

Pop :D

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Where I live we have a healthy population snakes. Mostly black snakes. They are good snakes and eat copperheads. However, I will dispatch any copperheads I see.

NCTurner

New User
Gary
Side note, if your property is lucky enough to have a healthy population of Possum, they will dispatch the copperheads for you too. They happen to be immune to the venom and absolutely enjoy snake.

redknife

Chris
Corporate Member
Side note, if your property is lucky enough to have a healthy population of Possum, they will dispatch the copperheads for you too. They happen to be immune to the venom and absolutely enjoy snake.
Interesting. I did not know that. Our chicken coop is on the “hunting" side for the copperheads, best I can tell. We think they live in a wooded hill on the opposite side. We previously set up a trail cam by the coop and saw quite a few possum pics at night. I’ll have to talk to them about stepping up their game.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS