Issues with DW718 Sliding Compund Miter

Status
Not open for further replies.

yellofins

Ron
Corporate Member
Does anyone use the DW 718 Sliding Compound Miter saw?
I just returned one to HD. I could not get reliable reproducable angled cuts.
The cuts would change by +/- 2 degrees leaving gaps in what should have been tight joints.
I returned the 718 and now have a 716 which is dead on with every cut.
Did I get a bad saw or is this inherent in the Sliding saws?
Does anyone have experience with these?
Ron

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Sorry, I don't have the DeWalt but I have the Rigid 12" and I had the same problem with it. What I found is that there is some lateral play as you pull the slider out. I found out that there is an adjustment screw(s) that have to be played with to get rid of the lateral play.

JohnsonMBrandon

New User
Brandon Johnson
I have heard of this also, but some models are more prone than others to do this. I have never heard anything bad about the dewalts though.

yellofins

Ron
Corporate Member
I checked all of the adjustments on the saw.
On smaller cuts (2"-3" )the gap was not noticable.
I cut some 6" wide boards and the gap was more noticable.
I switched to the non sliding saw and got tight joints on all of my cuts.
Here is the new saw right out of the box.....

Attachments

• dewalt.jpg
    dewalt.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 223

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
when I was installing flooring, we used one of the DW sliders, and never made a single adjustment to it, PERFECT everytime, right out of the box.

yellofins

Ron
Corporate Member
NCPete...That's what I was hoping. I expected more from the Dewalt. This unit may have been mishandled in transit or something.
Either way, I'm happy with its replacement.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
A cabinet maker friend in N. Va had bad problems with his 718, liked his 708 much better. He got rid of the 718 and bought the 12" Makita slider. Search other forums and you'll see more bad reports. (New Bosch slider has major problems also)

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I have the 708 and with the blade it came with it is a POS. Since I put a good blade in it I have not had any trouble.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
The DW SCMS came with such a nice blade, we didn't have to change it out to be certified with Pergo. Sorry you had a bad experience with yours. I had expected it would have a similar quality blade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors