ISO tires for my 14" band saw

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have a 14" grizzly BS that really needs a major tuning. Seems no matter how I adjust it that is wants to cut on a bias. I have the riser installed. I think it is at least 15 years old and I bought it used. I want to check off the simple stuff first. I have a new blade CHECK. I now want to replace the tires. Any source recommendations?

awldune

Sam
User

I have these on my 14'' Woodtek bandsaw and they are fine. For what that's worth.

Also, if your tires are not cracked or showing obvious signs of age you may want to leave them alone.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Checking the wheels for being co-planar isn't too hard if you have a long enough straight edge. The hardest part is finding shim washers to adjust it if its too far out. I found some at .025 and .040 at Tractors supply when I did mine.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Scott, are you cutting on the bias vertically or horizontally? Is the blade at 90 degrees to the table? Does the cut wander off your intended line? You may have to adjust the table or adjust your fence for drift.

Roy G

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thanks for all the suggestions and comments. On closer inspection:
1. The tires are cracked. I have a set of Blue Max on order.
2. On disassembly I noticed the blade had been rubbing on the blade guard and actual cut a grove into it. One of the screws that held the guard on was not tight.
3. Once I get the tires installed I will start with a new blade and check the wheels to be co-planed.
4. Roy it was cutting on a vertical bias no matter what I did. I am talking even on 4"-5" stock.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
I am very sure you have viewed Alex Snodgrass's video on how to set up and dial in your band saw, but if not I'll post the YouTube link here. It's well worth watching over and over again, just to keep the tips fresh in our minds. Good luck brother and God bless you and Jane!

FlyingRon

Ron
Not too long after I got my ancient Grizzley saw, I purchased a bunch of things from the Carter people including their urethane tires, and a couple of their different blade guide thingies. Haven't had a problem.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS