Is this a good lathe? Rikon 70-220VSR

Billm0066

New User
Bill

Very new to turning and looking for a machine I can grow into a little bit. Would like to stick with smaller items for the foreseeable future. Shop space is limited so a bench top one is preferred. Woodcraft has it for $699 plus 15% off. Looked on Craigslist and Facebook for a good used one but nothing stood out. Is this one good or should I look for something else in this price range? I searched the forums and a couple posts mentioned they like it. Just curious if theres a different one I should look into instead.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
not sure if you are a Facebook person, but Bradley (Spiracraft) JUST posted this:
Warehouse Clearance! Rikon 70-1218VS MSRP $549.99. Clearance priced at $499.99. With instore discount only $449.99 With free shipping included. Only 2 units are available.
https://shop.spiracraft.com/…/rikon-70-1218vs-12-x-18-vs-m…/

But I wold check with Klingspor as well to see what deals they have going on...

beloitdavisja

James
Corporate Member
The Rikon Midi lathes are great starter lathes. I started with the 70-100, which is the non-variable speed model, before upgrading last fall to a full size lathe (Nova Galaxi). The Woodcraft in Charlotte uses the 70-220VSR (or maybe the 70-1218) for their turning classes, and I believe the NCWW Outreach trailer just replaced all their lathes with the Rikons.

However, if you're looking at around the $699 price point, Laguna's new midi lathe, the Revo 1216, is $799 and is getting rave reviews. It's definitely a very well built lathe.

Billm0066

New User
Bill
not sure if you are a Facebook person, but Bradley (Spiracraft) JUST posted this:
Warehouse Clearance! Rikon 70-1218VS MSRP $549.99. Clearance priced at $499.99. With instore discount only $449.99 With free shipping included. Only 2 units are available.
https://shop.spiracraft.com/…/rikon-70-1218vs-12-x-18-vs-m…/

But I wold check with Klingspor as well to see what deals they have going on...

Thanks. Woodcraft in Raleigh actually has it for $449 plus 15% off but the guys there said they wouldnt recommend it. Klingspors has the 220vsr but $699 and no sale going on. Surprisingly Woodcraft is the cheapest.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Thanks. Woodcraft in Raleigh actually has it for $449 plus 15% off but the guys there said they wouldnt recommend it. Klingspors has the 220vsr but $699 and no sale going on. Surprisingly Woodcraft is the cheapest.
Did they give any reason why they wouldn't recommend the Rikon? I test drove one and loved it, if I didn't already have a much larger lathe and two spares I would buy it in a heart beat.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I would let Klingspor know as they would likely match the price if they can. I too would like to know why the guys at Woodcraft wouldn't recommend it? I called my Woodcraft and they highly recommended it. It is not one sale right now, but will be in August - The Raleigh guys are probably, just advancing you that price...

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Bill,
On a totally different note, did you know we have a member status of "Discount Qualified?" certain advertisers (Like Klingspor and others) offer a discount to members who are "DQ" I jsut looked for the rules for becoming "DQ" and I cannot find them in the new software, but I sure someone will back me up shortly and post them. It might not apply in this case since a lot of large ticket purchases might be exempt, but it SURE makes a difference for those "drop-in and shop" purchases.

Billm0066

New User
Bill
I would let Klingspor know as they would likely match the price if they can. I too would like to know why the guys at Woodcraft wouldn't recommend it? I called my Woodcraft and they highly recommended it. It is not one sale right now, but will be in August - The Raleigh guys are probably, just advancing you that price...

They said it was basically a modified pen turner and said it was not very powerful. The one im referring to is 70-1218vs. Woodcraft had it for $449 according to a sign on it plus 15% off. All Rikon Lathes were 15% off.

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
DQ at Klingspore's typically does not include items that have power cords. Unless they are following manufacturer allowed discounts & promotions, you will pay the sticker price. The store manager can override that in some situations. It's always no until you ask...

Stuart Kent

Stuart
Senior User
Pay that no mind. Rikon has the very best customer service in the industry. They build very good quality machines in their price range. After owning and using their machines for years with nothing but good experiences, I decided to establish the North Carolina Furniture School as a Rikon vendor, and can attest that a few dozen of my students would tell you how much they like their machines. I have 8 of them in the Mobile Classroom that get run pretty hard by students and those lathes are approaching 5 years old without a single problem. The 220VSR is solid and backed by outstanding customer service, sold at a great price, what is there not to like? If you want to talk about them give me a call, go see Coleman at the Raleigh Klingspor, or call Rikon and ask for Joe Taylor and tell him I told you to call.

I hope this helps, if I can assist, please let me know.
Stuart.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
DQ at Klingspore's typically does not include items that have power cords. Unless they are following manufacturer allowed discounts & promotions, you will pay the sticker price. The store manager can override that in some situations. It's always no until you ask...

Neal is very right - It's always no until you ask...

The exception to that is that Klingspor often has a lot of their power equipment on sale for a percentage off at the Extravaganza that they put on in late October at the Hickory Convention Center. A great time to buy larger equipment. That is where I got my Powermatic 3520B - purchased there and picked it up at the Cary Store.

This event is free and open to the public and so no need even to be DQ to take advantage of this.

Come visit us at the event, we always have a large booth in the back near the concession stand.

Sam Knight

Sam Knight
Sam
Corporate Member

I've owned mine since January 2016. I can tell you from my experience that this is a great beginner lathe for small turnings under 12" in diameter. Rikon had some issues in the beginning with the control boards on these lathes and they were very quick about getting me the part I needed to fix it myself. After that issue was resolved I have had no more problems. Great midi lathe and I would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone looking for this sized lathe.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS